🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth G
    Participant

Our 3year old coonhound has been having chronic skin and ears problems. After allergy testing here is what we found .
    Reactions to the following
    Whey
    Halibut
    Rosemary
    Flaxseed
    Yams and sweet potatoes
    Canola oil
    Shellfish
    Olive oil
    Sunflower oil
    Buckwheat
    Cabbage

Finding a dog food has just been impossible. If you have any suggestions please so will take them 😬

#180449 Report Abuse
    Regina A
    Participant

Hi, our dog when we first rescued him also had a horrible allergies. we didn’t know why. he would lick, chew and scratch at his skin, 24/7. We suspected after many switches it was fish product related.
    The only dry dog food we found after years of searching was Dr. Pol’s Healthy balance Chicken Recipe dog food. Based on your list above, I believe the only ingredient it has is flaxseed but perhaps if it’s the only item, even if he may have a slight reaction, it may still be a dramatic improvement over what he’s been having.
    If you change dog foods just make sure to slowly add it to the current dog food and gradually increase the amount over at least a couple weeks before changing it completely so you don’t also upset your dog’s tummy and have diarrhea. And remember it can take a a couple months to really see the different it might make. I feel so strongly about it because our dog was really suffering. He’s a light tan shih tzu so we could see his skin was always red and inflamed, including his gums. and where ever he licked his coat was rust colored and felt like wire. Now he has no rust colored spots and his coat is so soft. I couldn’t believe that difference it made. I hope it will at least help. Best Wishes for you and your fur baby.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.