🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    gmcbogger38

I’m not sure if this is the proper place to post this question, so if it isn’t I apologize. What products do y’all use for heartworm “preventative” and does anybody use all natural stuff? I have read a couple articles online by people who swear up and down that Guinness Draught beer (the black label brewed in Dublin) has turned dogs from heartworm positive to heartworm negative and they said they will continue using it for their dogs. They claim the hops have something in them that will kill heartworms. The dosage is 1oz per 10lbs body weight. This is obviously not scientific evidence, but I was wondering if anybody else has heard about this and/or tried this. I really don’t want to use any chemicals for heartworms. I understand, though, using all natural remedies it is best to have my dogs tested twice per year instead of once per year, just in case. What are y’alls opinions?

#23692 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Haven’t heard of the beer prevention method but I use essential oils for mosquito repellent.

#23696 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I just read a study on ginger extract to treat heartworms, but they weren’t looking at it to prevent heartworms. I’ve never heard of beer as a preventive. I live in a area where heartworms are very prevalent and after working for a vet for many years and seeing how hard treatment is on dogs, I’m afraid to try alternative preventives. The only one I’ve read about that has any study behind it at all has to be given 3 times a day. Heartworm preventives is the one chemical my dogs are getting.

If I lived in an area where it wasn’t so common, I would probably risk it though.

#23718 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I use Ivermectin based preventatives (just Ivermectin – no wormers) every 45 days during season (usually May – October).

#23761 Report Abuse
    gmcbogger38

Thanks!

#23766 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant
    #23790 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Heartworm isn’t something I’m not willing to chance. Mine get Heartgard every 45 days, may til october

#23793 Report Abuse
    Colorado huntress
    Participant

Give Heartgard as well, but would like some advice here, please. I got my female Brit lab from Tenn in June – she lived outside in a run/pen there & was given heart worm preventative on a monthly basis. I had her tested in June & she was negative, but the vet there said to keep her on the meds & have her re-tested in 6 months. We have very few Mosquitos here, & only for about 2 months of the year, so….most people only give Heartgard during that time (the vets are ok w/ that here). Also, same situation with my little guy that I got from LA in July – he tested negative & I have him on Heartgard as well. My question I guess is this……is it possible that they could still test positive for heart worms if I stopped giving the preventative in December?? We usually have snow staying on the ground & temps going below 0 degrees -January we get a lot of -30+ temps. I haven’t done much research on the ‘cons’ of heart worm preventative, but it IS a chemical, & I don’t know anybody from here that gives it to their dogs except for maybe 2 months in early Summer. It has nothing to do with the cost of the meds, I bought enough for a year for each of them. So…anybody have any advice?

#23804 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It has nothing to do with when you stop giving preventative. It can take 6 months after an infected mosquito bite for a dog to test positive, so when you get a new dog you want to test after 6 months to make sure it didn’t get heartworms before you got the dog.

#23806 Report Abuse
    Colorado huntress
    Participant

So….ok, that makes sense. Do you suggest that I keep giving the Heartgard & for how long?

#23822 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I would give a final dose for the year 45 days after the weather has gotten too cold for mosquitoes.

#23824 Report Abuse
    gmcbogger38

I know of 1 dog who still got heartworms while taking heartgard. And the owners are anal about keeping him on it on a regular basis. They said heartgard was paying for the treatment, though. You can look on Dr. Karen Becker’s website Mercola Healthy Pets and she has a map of the United States and the risk of heartworms for each area color coded on the map. It tells you which area you live in when to start and stop giving the medicine.

#23827 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Where I live Heartgard is known for not always working. And there are some areas around the Mississippi where it is know that the heartworms are immune.

#23830 Report Abuse
    Colorado huntress
    Participant

Thanks! I used to live in New Orleans & 1 hr North of there (where Hurricane Katrina hit), so I can believe that the heart worms are immune (roaches were immune to bug spray, lol!).
    I am very thankful that we don’t have Mosquitos – actually haven’t seen any around here in years, the gnats make up for it in the summer 🙁

#23831 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Per the studies done the only heart worm preventative found to be 100% effective was Advantage Multi – it was a small study though so my guess is that if it were larger Advantage Multi would have some failures as well (just a hunch). Most vets are observing equal numbers of failures with Interceptor/Sentinel, Heartguard and Revolution. The failures are mostly seen in large breed, outdoor dogs.

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/Veterinary+news/Leading-parasitologist-reveals-heartworm-preventiv/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/703785

http://www.yourpetsbestfriend.com/your_pets_best_friend/2008/04/heartworm-preve.html

#23840 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

That is right in line with our experience. It was hunting hounds that would come up positive. Living outdoors, having a larger surface area for mosquitoes to bite, and short thin hair would make you more susceptible just because your exposure is so much more, I would think.

#23842 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Then Gertie and Mabel should have a very elevated risk – with their ears and wrinkles they have tons of surface area! lol

#23844 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Well I know that they’ve wormed their way into your heart. At least they don’t live in Mosquito Central.

#23872 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

If your dogs are on Heart Guard and if your dogs get heart worms while on it and you haven’t skipped a monthly dose if your dog gets heart worm the Company will only pay for 1/2 of the heart worm treatment. While Tri heart will pay for 100% of the heart worm treatment if your dog gets heat worms on their product, Tri Heart is a lot cheaper than heart guard also. The vet I work at we have seen more cases of dogs getting heart worms while on Heart Guard.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by NectarMom.
    #24025 Report Abuse
    gmcbogger38

That’s part of why I don’t want to put them on a pill. If you don’t skip any doses and the dog still gets heartworm, that would mean the product failed and you wasted your money with it. And the reason the product would fail would be because of the resistance to that particular medication. Such a tough decision, but I appreciate the comments. And I appreciate not being called an irresponsible owner for asking this. Other places I have been called that lol.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 8 months ago by gmcbogger38.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.