šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    DogFoodie

I’ve been looking for a high quality and very durable slicker brush for Sam, my Golden Retriever. I bought a pair of Miller’s Forge nail clippers that I use on my Cavalier that are very nice, so I was looking at their slicker brushes.

I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a slicker brush that they really like.

#57597 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’ve never had a bad slicker, ever. I don’t ever know what brands I’ve had. Red ones and turquoise ones. If they don’t ever come apart, I guess I don’t ever pay attention to who made it. Miller’s Forge is an excellent brand name though. I’ve had some of their products for 15-20 years and longer.

I just checked and my current slicker is an Ever Gentle. The BCs are very sensitive to having their coat pulled and this one releases the coat rather than pulling on a knot.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by theBCnut.
    #57700 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Sam’s coat is so thick and coarse, I think maybe the Miller’s Forge would be a good investment.

I bought this amazing dematting comb: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ARR2W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’m careful with it, but if a mat starts to develop, you can easily slide it behind the mat and the blades cut right through and work to cut it out. I know that some folks on here didn’t care for this tool, but I think if used carefully, it works great.

Do you think grooming sprays are good or do they end up resulting in build-up? I’d like to find a nice one that helps with brush-outs, but doesn’t cause build up or attract dirt.

#57718 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Dematting combs are fine if you use them the way you are. It’s when you use them as an undercoat rake and go over the whole dog repeatedly that you damage the coat.

I’ve used LaserSheen on my dogs sparringly. It sheds dirt, so you will end up with dirt on your hands every time you pet the dog, but I haven’t found anything better for getting knots out. I’ve used it to de-mat a badly matted dog, then rinsed it out, because I don’t like it left on, it makes the dog slippery.

#59220 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Got my Miller’s Forge slicker brush. I wish the bristles were a little stiffer and longer. Still, it works OK.

I took the pups to a lovely new groomer recently. She took a quick glance at Sam as soon as he walked in the door and said, “Ah ha, he’s been neutered.” She could tell because his coat on his legs tends to be more fuzzy and less shiny. I thought that was the result of my inability to give him fish for the omega 3’s, but it sounds like it must actually be hormonal.

He’s been getting Ovega 3 daily, and I route coconut and olive oil, but I haven’t noticed a difference at all. So, I wonder if the added Omega 3’s or the other oils will ever make a difference in his coat?

#59249 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

How long have you been giving them consistently? It may take until his next shed to see a difference. When it comes to dry skin, you see a difference pretty quickly, but if it is a coat quality issue, you have to have them on it for a while before they shed and then wait until after the shed. Neutering does affect coat and it really affects coat on breeds like the Golden. I’ve known many Goldens with the nickname Fluffbuff.

#59253 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Dang, really?! Another reason I wish I hadn’t needed to have him neutered.

We are just finishing up the first bottle of Ovega 3, so he’s been getting it daily for almost two months. I’m not consistent with the coconut oil… they probably get that two or three times weekly. I just recently started the olive oil within the past couple of weeks and am still in the process of ramping up to a proper “dose.” He scratches a bit, nothing unusual, so I don’t feel he really has dry skin. I think it was just the fuzzy parts of his coat that made me assume he was dry and needed fixing. Maybe I’m fighting a losing battle though if it’s related to the neutering.

#59266 Report Abuse
    Dori

For de-matting the very best product I have ever used and still due is called Ice on Ice. You spray some onto the mat, mush it around a little into the mat and then with a detangler comb (the teeth are metal and they roll) it combs right out. As you know I have Hannah in a full coat and Maltese’s are notorious for getting mats especially if you’re nuts (like me) and keep them in a full to the floor coat. Their hair is very cotton like so is always getting matted. This is by far the best product I have ever come across in my life. It’s amazing truly. You can find it on Amazon and you can read up on it on the site. It’s also a finishing no rinse spray. Doesn’t particularly have any odor that would bother you. Doesn’t build up on the hair which is great.

Dog Foodie, just wanted to mention that I’m a dog owner that does not believe that neutering and spaying permanently changes the texture of their hair. I have had neutered or spayed every single dog I have ever owned and believe me there have been a lot and not one time was any of their hair or fur affected.

Have you tried feeding him canned sardines packed in water a couple of times a week. Amount per meal would depend on his size. I use a small can twice a week and divide the can among the three dogs. On days that I don’t feed sardines, I add a little splash of Nature’s Logic sardine oil in one meal of their day. It has made an enormous difference. I truly didn’t ever see that the coconut oil made any difference with their hair. I give it to them but for other reasons. I also give them only a tiny bit of coconut oil, if I give the recommended amount they all get diarrhea. No thank you! It was when I started adding the sardine oil to their food and sardines to their diet that I saw a drastic difference. Also, the only kibble in rotation is Nature’s Logic Sardine formula. It’s pricey but if you feed rotation it’s not too much of a big deal. Of course, again, it depends on the size of your dog.

Anyway, try the Ice on Ice by Chris Christensen. It’s a leave in detangled and finishing spray. I have found that it’s also fantastic when I’ve given any of the girls a bath and find that I missed a tangle before the bath which is ridiculously difficult to get out when wet, I just spray the mat generously, work it into the matt and comb it out.

#59273 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Ice on Ice is fantastic!

#59275 Report Abuse
    Dori

Marie, isn’t that stuff fantastic? I wish I’d known about it when I had Tracy, our Tibetan Terrier. I swear she had enough hair for ten dogs. Her undercoat was always matted and I combed her out every single day just to try to keep up. She was a big tom boy so was always getting into something and everything. Ice on Ice would have made my grooming days with her so much easier and would have cut the time down by at least half.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Dori.
    #59278 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I will try Ice on Ice, Dori! Thanks so much for the suggestion!

The problem with Sam, is that he can’t have any fish at all. He’s intolerant of any fish that he’s ever eaten and has even reacted to fish oil. Hence, my dilemma. : (

I’ll never forget the last time I tried to give him sardines. He sniffed around and wouldn’t touch them. He came back, sniffed again, saw the sardines were still there and walked away. That’s the only time Sam has refused to eat, when I tried to give him his sardines.

The Ovega 3 that I’ve been giving him is algae oil, so it should do the trick; but so far, it hasn’t.

It’s primarily his legs that are fuzzy. The rest of him is shiny and smooth.

Maybe when I get home tonight, I’ll see if I can figure out how to post a picture on the forum side.

#59279 Report Abuse
    Dori

Darn it!!!! I forgot about Sam’s fish intolerance. Okay so just ignore all I said about sardines and fish oils.

#59290 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi Dori

Coat change from neutering doesn’t happen to every breed. It is most common in double coated breeds. The undercoat becomes overabundant and doesn’t shed out as well. Coat is affected by any metabolic/hormone issue, and neutering is a metabolic/hormone issue.

#59291 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I was looking at before / after neutering photos of Sam earlier today and there is definitely a difference. I wish I had been able to leave him intact (or at least intact for a longer period of time), but couldn’t because of his undescended testicle.

That groomer took one look at Sam and knew; and I was like, “Ah ha!”

#59294 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Personally, I am a HUGE avocet for spaying/neutering. I have seen waaaay to many homeless dogs while volunteering at shelters/rescues. I don’t know if it does anything to a dog’s coat, but IMO the health benefits and preventing puppies are worth it.

#59295 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Responsible people are perfectly capable of preventing unwanted puppies. They don’t neuter over much of the rest of the world. And for every health benefit, there is a health detriment.

Irresponsible people are the problem and neutering by responsible people won’t cure that issue, and the irresponsible people still won’t do the responsible thing and neuter their dogs.

Betsy did the right thing and neutered her dog with an undescended testicle and I did the right thing by neutering my dog with food allergies, but that will not affect the over population problem, because neither dog is running around loose to go breeding puppies anyways.

#59296 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Irresponsible people are definitely more of an issue, though anything can happen. Where I live, there is a huge overpopulation problem with chihuahuas. I personally like them, though I understand that not all chis are for everyone. It has gotten to the point though that shelters offer free spay/neuter for chihuahuas. In this particular case, I think neutering could really solve the problem. A big part of the issue is still puppy mills and backyard breeders. While I really support rescue I do understand that reputable breeders are not evil. Okay, so that does’t exactly relate to the original question. I am the master of tangents.

#59300 Report Abuse
    Dori

BC, I understand that neutering and spaying for that matter is a metabolic/hormone issue. I was just pointing out that in my life and family with dogs (all neutered and spayed..not just mine but my parents and siblings dogs) I’ve never come across that. I did not become allergic to animals until I was in my early forties when I went to dogs with hair as opposed to fur. I’m not saying that it doesn’t or can’t happen, I was just saying I’ve never seen it and so there are more issues at play and the situation has a possibility (probability) of maybe not being reversed; but certainly controlled.

Betsey definitely did the right thing in neutering her dog with an undescended testicle. That’s a no brainer and Betsey, you should not feel bad about what you did. It’s what a responsible dog guardian is suppose to do. You just don’t care and treat your dog but all the dogs to come that may be disposed to those traits. Wish everyone was as responsible. Neutering and spaying is an individual and individual dog/cat choice. Health out ways the risks in some cases and vice versa. They are all individuals as we are and decisions are made, hopefully, after research and what sits right in your heart and soul and feels right for your animal.

No disrespect intended on my part for anyone who chooses not to spay or neuter. Just my opinion and what feels right and good to me and what I can live with.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Dori.
    #59306 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I know someone who didn’t spay their dog. Fenced in yard, she didn’t see the problem in leaving the dog into the yard, while in heat. Yeah, she spayed her after the puppies were born.

#59309 Report Abuse
    Dori

Thanks for speaking up Marie. I’m a big spay/neuter advocate. : )

I know that there may be special circumstances not to but for the majority I believe whole heartedly that it should be done. There are as many reasons for doing so as not. I choose to spay and neuter. There are also way more irresponsible animal owners than responsible ones. It’s tragic what goes on in the world with all of these unwanted puppies and kittens. Not to spay and neuter is a major problem and a huge reason why we have so many dogs for adoptions regardless of the circumstances. I cannot in all good conscience contribute to the problem if I cannot keep them all. I can’t. I live in a house with a teeny tiny yard and a county that allows you three dogs. That it.

#59319 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Definitely agree with both of you. The only situation I have routinely seen where spay/neuter was not a good idea is with extremely old/frail dogs where surgery is extremely risky.

#59321 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Just saw this on Susie’s Senior Dogs. This is NOT about accidentally pregnancy, but is about overpopulation from breeding: https://www.facebook.com/susiesseniordogs/photos/a.272358689587441.1073741828.272349689588341/398607503629225/?type=1&theater

#59352 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’m pro spay/neuter but ONLY if the owner is responsible. IMO, as someone who has never had an intact dog, while females are in heat, they must never, ever be outside alone. They must go out on leash and not tethered either. Unaltered male dogs have gone to great lengths to get to an unspayed dog.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.