šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    DAVID H

I have been reading posts on FB and other websites about the benefits of feeding dogs a grain free diet. Many of these posts have been from people that have taken their pets to the vet with heart conditions. Their vets have told then to take their pets OFF of grain free diets. One friend that just got back from her vet because of her dog’s heart problem said, “She (the vet) explained that all GRAIN FREE foods develop a ā€œtarryā€ like substance in the heart, and thatā€™s most likely what is the cause of his problems.

Any suggestions, or comments would be appreciated.

Thank you.

#149449 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

I believe that the consensus is out that feeding kibble for dogs whole life is not the best nutrition for them. Don’t believe the true cause as of yet has been found regarding DCM and grain diets. Many companies add a ton of legumes in their food displacing animal protein. When the dog was switched to a food that was high in meat(animal protein) their hearts returned to normal in some cases.
    Then you have grain inclusive. A starch is always needed in kibble to hold it together.
    This is a quote from a site I frequent. “On the other hand, some plant material such as rice, soybean meal and corn have some, although limited, usefulness in the meat eater’s diet. Corn, wheat, soy, rice and barley are not bad or harmful to dogs and cats. These plant sources are simply not good choices (we do get to choose what we feed our pets, don’t we?) for the foundation of a diet to optimally nourish animals what are, have been, and for the foreseeable future will be meat eaters.”

Best if you feed kibble get your pet SLOWLY used to several brands and proteins and rotate every few bags. Even between grain and grain free. There are many toppers you can add such as freeze dried in various brands. I use Primal, Stella’ , Bixbi rawbbles . Frozen raw is less costly in these same brands. Also, use toppers of home cooked when appropriate. Boiled chicken, string beans, fish, steak etc. when your also eating this.
    I don’t believe you can go wrong with a variety of foods that agrees with your dog.

#149507 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

There has been no proof found of dcm being caused my grain free diets. The fda has instructed to not switch foods as there is not a reason to at the moment. There are very few cases and a lot of them include grain in foods. I would focus on feeding a meat based kibble (meat as first three ingredients minimum) as the base and adding in fresh meats, canned foods, and raw/freeze dried raw into your dogs diet to make it as protein and taurine rich and fresh as possible.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by haleycookie.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.