Getting Enough Fat?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Getting Enough Fat?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    dogmom2
    Participant

HI everyone.

A quick question…

Hank is blowing his coat in a crazy way this month. I am noticing that his undercoat is basically gone , and his outer coat seems coarse in some areas.

He gets Darwins ( all the protiens), Brothers Allergy, merrick canned, sardines, quality fish oil, coconut oils etc. but I am wondering if he is getting enough fat? Or calories? He looks good, not skinny at all. He is 11 now, so we don’t really want to put weight on him.

Dewey looks fine. Shiny and like he needs a few pounds off!!!

Any thoughts??

#23702 Report Abuse
    dogmom2
    Participant

Weird…not sure why the double post. And it won’t let me edit. Sorry!

#23715 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

If he’s eating commercial kibble, canned and raw supplemented with fish oil and coconut oil he’s definitely getting plenty of fat. If he looks good and isn’t skinny why would you think he’s not getting enough calories or fat?

#23728 Report Abuse
    dogmom2
    Participant

I don’t know! I just think his coat quality would be a little better….but I was just being a worry wart.

I haven’t ever seen him blow his coat like this before, and that in combo with his feet having such issue this year I just speculate on what may be the reason. My DH always says I try to make relationships between things that may not be related.

#23730 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

This past spring my pup blew her coat – it had never happened to my other two so I was a little concerned. It lasted about two week – she looked horrible – then everything grew back in shinier and sleeker than ever. How long have you noticed the poor coat quality?

#23731 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Also should add – a coarse outer coat is normal for a lab.

#23733 Report Abuse
    dogmom2
    Participant

Hdm… A few weeks. I am sure it is just the season, but it was a shocking amount of hair! I have never seen him blow his coat like this that I can remember. He doesn’t seem itchy, nor is it patchy…just no undercoat at the moment.
    He has always been the sensitive one…so any time anything out of the ordinary happens I think I brace for the worst. I am sure it is normal…it has been a really muggy summer here….

Thanks is for indulging me in this conversation. Sometimes it feels better just to get others take on things. 🙂

#23735 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It can be a more thorough blown coat than ever before for a few reasons. What has changed in his diet this year? And are you noticing any other changes that could be age related? For many dogs Spring shed is just undercoat, but Fall shed is under and outer and the outer coat gets looking pretty nasty before it goes. A change in diet this year can magnify that especially if he is growing more coat than he used to, which is why I brought up the age question. A lot of dogs have a change in amount of coat and texture of coat as they age.

#23743 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

If it’s only been a few weeks I wouldn’t worry. You feed great foods so I would be amazed if it’s anything nutritional. I personally would give it some more time before getting worried. My guess is it’s seasonal.

#23758 Report Abuse
    dogmom2
    Participant

Patty, I was thinking about the age factor in the coarseness of his outer coat. And it has been almost 2 years since our “food epiphany” and their introduction to raw, and the like. (they were on innova before..with canned innova.). This last year has been the best coat Hank has ever had, and I attribute it to the change in diet to better more natural foods.
    He really is pretty healthy, and happy overall. It has just been a crazy amount of hair on the lawn after evening brushing and all over the house. We vacuum every day as it is, but holy moly!!!

Hdm….you are right. I will watch and wait before I panic!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by dogmom2.
    #23760 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

When they grow that fabulous coat they eventually have to shed that fabulous coat.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.