šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Amber F

So we have adopted my recently passed dear father’s dog.
    Druck is a Rhodesian ridgeback mix.
    He has been licking his paws quite a bit and his ears are often red (but no scratching).
    So I’m guessing it’s possibly yeast, food sensitivities or both?

I have bought some colloidal silver topical for his paws and that seems to have helped at least some.
    My dad was feeding him Purina One lamb and rice as well as Alpo canned, and he had these issues then as well.

We are currently feeding him Crave Chicken dry food, and yes it’s a “grain free” food, which I know is, controversial.

Should I invest in some probiotics?
    If that would be helpful I’m willing to pay more for a food that has the appropriate amount already in it.

I am more than willing to buy something else as long as it’s in the price ball park of the crave which is $43 for 22#.
    I’d really like to spend no more than $2.30 a pound or $50 for a 22# bag.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

#137316 Report Abuse
    anonymous

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=environmental+allergies

Colloidal Silver- Colorful Snake Oil but not Medicine

Stop the foolishness.

Take the dog to a vet , have him examined , see what is recommended.

#137326 Report Abuse
    Amber F

He has been to the vet they just prescribe antibiotics.
    I forgot to mention that.

I am not against antibiotics at all but the problems reoccur, so the fact that it’s an on going issue, I thought it could be food, seasonal, yeast related.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Amber F.
    #137344 Report Abuse
    Amber F

Also the cs was used as a topical to help his paws heal and possibly the yeast.
    There is evidence of its topical use in this manner.

I am not against main stream medicine.

#137387 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Go to a veterinary dermatologist for the best results.

#137426 Report Abuse
    anonymous

/forums/topic/getting-to-the-bottom-of-frenchies-itchiness/

Click on link for article that you may find helpful.

#137472 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Hi I am sorry to hear about your dog, mine too does that. You are right it has something to do with his diet. My dog had a eye infection and the vet gave him antibiotics. When I stopped the med’s it returned. I knew I had to find the cause. So I switched his food and in a couple of days the eye infection went away and did not return. There is a dry food called Holistic Select, you can get it on chewy. It has a lot of probiotics in it, this food is designed for that. Read the reviews on chewy they have lamb, chicken, fish, duck, turkey flavors. I been through a lot with my other dog as well, and sometimes the vets don’t know all the exacted causes. I am not saying don’t ask a vet, but you feed the dog and observe what the outcome is. In my situation with his eyes I observed and thank God I found the cure. Just try this food and do it gradually, mixing with his old food for a 10 to 12 day period. example: if you feed 3 cups a day, than in a container mix 2 1/2 cups old and 1/2 cup new do that for 2 days. If stools are good than continue by mixing more of the new and less of the old, in 1/2 cups. example: 2 cups old and 1 cup new you get the idea. Hope it works, let me know. Believe me diet has a lot to do with it!! I think it is better to start on diet before you go to the vet a load up on meds. Certainly if diet correction does not work than go to a vet. Hope the best for you.
    I forgot to mention, is he still having problems even with Crave? Well anyway if you use Holistic Select you will not need to buy probiotics. This is loaded with it. Sorry for all the edits but I knew a friend that his dog had skin problems and the vet gave him meds after meds, and finally the vet said lets change his diet and bingo his skin cleared. The owner was relieved b/c the dog was on meds for 2 years. which was not good.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by joanne l.
    #138314 Report Abuse
    Amber F

Joanne,
    Thanks so much for the suggestion! I will be looking at it for sure!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.