🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    aly788

I have my dogs on Merrick Grain-Free Chicken and Sweet Potato, and I’m working on finding a different food for one of them (40 lb lab mix) since he has had gas and diarrhea on and off for a while now. The vet said it is likely a food intolerance, that he would do best on a fixed formula food, and recommended Science Diet, which I’m not the biggest fan of. Also, putting him on Science Diet won’t necessarily tell us what food intolerances he has….

Anyway, I’ve been doing some research, and I’m having trouble finding fixed formula dog food brands. Does anyone have recommendations for a fixed formula food, preferably higher quality than Science Diet? Thanks! 🙂

#30830 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

What do you mean by “fixed formula”? I’m not familiar with that term.

#30845 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Fixed formula used to be what made a premium food premium. They used to guarantee that they wouldn’t change the formula without notice, which Science Diet did with the last change, so they are still considered a fixed formula food. I really don’t know who else might have the same policy. Most premium foods don’t switch around the formula with every batch. They make occasional adjustments, so they should be close enough to fixed formula for all but the most sensitive dogs. I don’t know what the issue with Merrick could be, but they shouldn’t be changing their formula that often. Changing the formula takes a lot of work and some expense. But I do wonder if they have a supplier that gets differing qualities of the same ingredient or something like that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.