šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I have the chance to get whole porgy very cheap. Its whole..head guts etc. Is it okay to feed whole or do I need to gut it?

#35078 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I don’t know too much about fish, but whenever we go fishing, we cook the whole fish in tin foil and give our dogs the remainders. Usually we gut the fish and throw the remainders away, but I’m sure if you cooked it then it’d be fine.

I honestly would never feed my dogs raw fish, as my lab has come within a few hours of death from eating a raw fish, and my dad once had a Dalmatian that died from eating a live fish.

Sorry for adding a question – but can anyone explain to me how/when/why raw fish can kill dogs, and if it’s ever safe to give a raw fish to a dog? The vet explained it when we took our dog in, but that was almost 10yrs ago, so I honestly can’t remember a thing he said.

#35084 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I don’t know either but I feed the sardines whole, ungutted.

#35087 Report Abuse

Salmonoids carry a parasite that cause salmon poisoning..tnis includes trout. Porgy is sold by Pawfectly raw for dogs. I just don’t know if its edible for dogs guts and all. Its an atlantic oceean fish I believe.

#35088 Report Abuse

Just searched around and I see no reason to not feed it. I think I will grind it whole guts heads etc and then freeze for at least a week until I use it. I found a great restraurant supply place and the fish guy told me they mark down all fish every 3 days as they only keep it for 4 days. So its all fresh human grade. I bought the porgy for $1.10 a lb and just got 40lbs.

I felt like a kid in a candy store. I also picked up chicken leg quarters for 42 cents a lb,, backs for 26 cents a lb, and eggs at $1.55 a dozen. Now the downside is I have to buy in 40lb cases and the eggs by the 15 dozen. I will be grinding all day lol, and then I can work on the crates of veggies.

#92304 Report Abuse
    Scott183

I know this is an old post, but wanted to find out if Porgy turned out to be safe. A friend of mine has 500 lbs of it and is willing to give me about half. My boy has done raw chicken and beef, but no fish as of yet. Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.