šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Reese B

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm620934.htm

I’m glad I stopped giving my girl bravecto, but angry that I let my vet talk me into it in the first place.

#122108 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

2 Dogs on Bravecto in our household. No issues.

#122109 Report Abuse
    anonymous

It depends on the dog and the level of risk. But, so far the Seresto collar seems to work.

One of my dogs gets a rash with topicals, the other one does okay on Advantix II, however I may consider the collar for him too.

I never considered the orals as an option. But then again we avoid woods and tall grass.

Best to discuss with your vet what would be best for your dog.

#122114 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I gave my two dogs Bravecto for the first time this year. Luckily, no side effects for mine either. I’m trying the Seresto collar on my one cat that goes outside. So far no issues with him either. I hate the messy topical stuff. Thought I’d try something different this summer/fall.

#122119 Report Abuse
    Reese B

Pitluv and crazy4cats, I’m glad your dogs didn’t have any issues on Bravecto. Thankfully my dog didn’t either….. sadly a lot of dogs did have adverse side effects.

If I had done more research when my vet first suggested Bravecto, and if I had known there was so many complaints of seizures I would not have given it to my dog. Thus, I’m glad that the FDA is addressing the potential for neurological issues. Too many dogs have experienced it to not have it listed as a possible side effect.

#122121 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yes, I do feel lucky. For the FDA to out out a warning, there must have been too many dogs with side effects. Our vet felt it was safe, but I did have some concerns. I’ll prob use the Seresto collar for the dogs next year too. At least you can take it off if there are side effects.

I hope your dog is ok.

#122127 Report Abuse
    anonymous

delete/repeat post Oops!

#122128 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Seizures are mentioned as a side effect, you have to read the fine print, then again, if you read the potential side effects for aspirin, you would probably never take one, same with most medications. https://us.bravecto.com/for-dogs.aspx?
    ” Use caution in dogs with a history of seizures. Seizures have been reported in dogs receiving fluralaner, even in dogs without a history of seizures. abnormalities.”

#122132 Report Abuse
    Reese B

You’re right anon, it does say that in the fine print, but I agree with crazy4cats, A LOT of dogs must have been having neurological effects for the FDA to issue a warning.

I’d rather be safe than sorry.

#122176 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Why would anyone think that giving an insecticide to your dogs is harmless?? Frontlineā€™s website creates the impression that the product stays in the oil glands of the skin. But Dr. Dobozyā€™s study showed that, in fact, it does enter the body and the organ systems. Copies from this link . https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/the-dangers-of-flea-and-tick-products/

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Patricia A.
    #122179 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I would prefer to risk side effects from a flea/tick preventive than watch a dog suffer from Lyme disease or be tortured with flea bites.
    The benefits of flea/tick preventives outweigh the risks (imo).

But, of course I would avoid the products mentioned in the FDA Alert.

#122184 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Regarding the author of that “Dogs Naturally” article (link in an above post) Dr. Deva Khalsa, a popular alternative veterinarian

Garlic for Pets- What’s it Good for?

8. Garlic is an effective flea control method.
    Doubtful. There are, of course, plenty of anecdotes from people saying that garlic drove the fleas away from their pets like magic. There are just as many that say garlic didnā€™t help at all. There is absolutely no research evidence showing garlic supplements to be an effective form of flea control. It is often given with Brewerā€™s yeast, which has been shown to be ineffective as a flea repellant. So for all the confidence with which this claim is made, it is simply made up.

More here http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2015/09/naet-a-cure-for-allergies-not/

#122395 Report Abuse
    anonymous

“The consequence of not administering flea and tick preventative is substantial. The frequency of flea and tick spread disease is far greater and more impactful than the rarely reported side effects. Killing ticks through preventatives also prevents human family members from tick-borne illnesses such as lyme and anaplasmosis.”

(above is part of a recent memo recieved from a veterinary clinic)

#123263 Report Abuse
    Atlas T

My pup is on Bravecto and I just recently reordered for the next 6 months. Ugh. Not sure what I can do at this point, but I’m pretty sure I can’t return, and it’s not cheap!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.