Doberman: Diet and Hyperactivity

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Doberman: Diet and Hyperactivity

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dan C

We have an 11 month old Doberman intact female that displays boundless energy to the point of not being controllable. She knows and can execute her commands but once she starts the wild hyperactive outbursts she ignores them until physically caught, restrained and calmed. We try to give her some credit due to her young age. She shows no aggressive signs just boundless energy. We have a fenced yard that allows her to run miles at will and we also daily walk her one or more times.

Puppy weights 70 lbs. Now it’s time to focus on her diet. She is feed Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain (Dry) cut with 25% Kirkland Signature Puppy Formula Chicken. (We add the puppy kibble to increase calcium consumption). We also add a spoonful of canned pumpkin several times per week. Puppy is health and is otherwise a great dog.

We are looking for diet recommendations before we look toward a medical/drug solution in resolving this always up puppy. Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Billy Bob

#93348 Report Abuse
    anonymous

She will calm down as she matures (3 to 5 years of age), in the meantime, she is in the prime of her life right now. She requires a lot of exercise. It’s not hyperactivity, it is normal for a young healthy dog to want to move!
    I had a corgi that was wild, the only thing that worked was 3 to 5 mile brisk walks every day or a 1 to 2 mile jog.
    The backyard stuff wasn’t enough. That’s the deal with working/herding dogs, they need a lot of activity or they become neurotic.
    PS: She was calmer at age 7, with the above recommended exercise included, cancer got her at age 9+ despite the best diet and optimum exercise.
    Consult your veterinarian, see what he suggests, I suspect he will agree with me.

#93349 Report Abuse
    anonymous

If you are not going to breed her, you may want to consider getting her spayed. That will result in calming her down and avoid other health issues.
    I have witnessed a dog have a false pregnancy due to raging hormones, not pretty.

#93350 Report Abuse
    Natasha C

I agree with the previous commenter. My lab is 2+ now and just started to chill out. Before that he was wild. We have a fenced in yard and he has the run of it, but he prefers human interaction. When I would try walking him (which he desperately needed) he would run, pull, lunge – basically making my life miserable, but he was happy and calmer after a nice long brisk walk. He just started to mellow out a bit – I think its an age thing.

#93351 Report Abuse
    anonymous

She may also be going into heat…..

#93356 Report Abuse
    Cannoli

“before we look toward a medical/drug solution in resolving this always up puppy”

you have a dog that is genetically bred to be working dog and instead you plan to drug your dog to reduce his effectiveness.

I recommend that since you decided not to get a lapdog a mere two walks a dayain’t cutting it.

Maybe some hiking or teaching your dog to use a treadmill would be a better solution than drugs.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Cannoli.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Cannoli.
    #93371 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, have a look at Pro Pac Ulitmates large breed puppy, a 28lb bag cost $29.99 thru Chewy
    Earthborn Holistic makes the Pro Pac Ultimates & it’s cheaper.
    https://www.chewy.com/pro-pac-ultimates-chicken-meal-brown/dp/120285
    I’m pretty sure large breed dogs can eat a large breed puppy formula till they’re 18-24 months…also add some tin sardines in spring water to her kibble, also buy those fish skin treats & her coat will shine, they did a study & found adding 2 tablespoons meat & veggies to 1 meal reduces the risk of getting cancer..
    add foods your having for dinner as long as it’s not a hot curry chilies onions etc also you should be rotating between different brands & proteins, never just feed the same of brand kibble..
    I rotate between “Taste Of The Wild”, “Canidae” Canidae make a Life Stages large breed Puppy & Adult kibble, & I just ordered the Pro Pac Ultimates Meadow Prime Lamb..
    http://www.propacultimates.com/dog-food/
    http://www.canidae.com/dog-food/products

#93386 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi,
    have a look at “Pro Pac Ultimates” Large Breed puppy & Adult formula , Chewy sells the 28lb bag for $29.99… Earthborn Holistic make the Pro Pac Ultimates, it’s a cheaper kibble with same quality ingredients..
    http://www.propacultimates.com/dog-food/
    A large breed pup can eat a large breed puppy formula till 18-24 months old,
    Rotate between different brands & proteins, it strengthens their immune system having different foods in their diet & not eating the same protein & veggies, also start adding a few small sardines to kibble a couple times a week buy the tin sardines in spring water & give those fish skins as treats, very heathy & will make your dogs coat shine…..
    They did a study & found by adding 2 tablespoons of meat & veggies to their kibble reduces the chances of your dog getting cancer….add to her dinner whatever your having for dinner, as long as it’s not a hot curry, chilies, onions etc

You have a healthy normal pup, enjoy it while it last, I bought one of those high pitch whistles, from those cheap $2 shops, blow it & see does she calm down & come to see where the noise is coming from & give her a treat…..
    I have a English Staffy & he just turned 8yrs old & he has just settled down but he can still be a nut when my daughter & grandson visit, I love it, it’s better then him moping around the house….

#93412 Report Abuse
    Mary N

Honestly, no diet can “fix” your dog.

Your dog has a need to move because it is strong as an ox and it is in its prime young days. You need to spend her energy and then just watch how she will calm down.

Get her to walk, run, fetch, get her on treadmill or all of the above.

Feed her high-quality protein based diet as you already do. Don’t reduce her diet portions or switch to a less energetic food. What your dog needs is a lot of food and a lot of exercise.

It is just that type of a breed plus it is young 🙂

#93461 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

Another thought–

Even if you have already, have you considered enrolling her in a basic obedience class? Not because it sounds like your dog doesn’t know the basics of sit, down, come, etc, but when the excitement level hits it’s like she loses what she knows (it happens to a LOT of dogs at that teenager age.) A class situation is good with a dog who already understands the basic words, as the challenge comes with teaching her to respond even when something more interesting catches her attention. If you run into a snag, you’ll have a trainer right there to help you, in person.

I liken it to taking a kid to Disney World, sitting them down, and expecting them to do math homework. It’s probably not going to happen right away; there’s too much to see, do, hear, and way too much excitement. Now take a kid who has parents who work at Disney World, and the kid has spent a ton of time there and it’s boring and familiar. They’ll more than likely be able to do homework in the middle of the Magic Kingdom without batting an eye.

Please steer clear of medicating this dog to keep her “down.” In 10 years, you’ll miss the antics (or at least some of them.) Frustrating sometimes, but don’t give up and simply keep her drugged. It can be worked through, honest. And when she matures and calms on her own, you’ll have a very well trained companion to be your best friend for many, many years. It pays off!

You might even consider getting her into some kind of competitive venue to channel that energy into something positive. Most dogs really like things like flyball, agility, or rally obedience. You could try tracking or any kind of nosework games. Teach her silly parlor tricks to impress your friends. Dobermans weren’t bred to be couch potatoes, but are some of the most loyal dogs on the planet. DO something with her, and enjoy every minute of it!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.