šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    LckyNmbr12
    Participant

Hello, I recently rescued an american bullador pup (american bulldog/lab mix) who has demodectic mange. He is currently taking ivermectin (I know this can be dangerous but he doesn’t appear to be having any issues or reactions from it), and because he is young, my vet doesn’t think he will have any issues overcoming it with the medication and itch-relief shampoo. However, I want to ensure he gets better as soon as possible, and I hope to prevent further immune system issues. Has anyone had experience with this? Can anyone recommend any supplements or home remedies that will help get him and keep him healthy? I’ve seen there are various multivitamins aimed at immune-boosting, as well as other supplements such as colostrum. I’ve also seen that fish oil, specifically salmon oil, can be extremely helpful in mending and maintaining his skin and coat. Any advice? Thanks!!

#18399 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Coconut oil is also good for the coat as well as having other health boosting properties. Get organic virgin coconut oil. Taking care of your dogs gut is the best way to boost the immune system, so putting him on a good multistrain probiotic really helps. Google Swansons and look for Dr Langers, it has a good number of different strains and human probiotics are every bit as good as ones marketed for dogs but tend to be much cheaper. Swansons also has a nice soil based organism supplement. And they have a really nice green super food supplement that would be beneficial as well. Most dogs that get demodex get it when under stress, so boosting his nutrition will help too. What kind of food is he on?

#18401 Report Abuse
    LckyNmbr12
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll look into those. He’s currently on Fromm’s large breed puppy dry food.

#18404 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Swansonvitamins(dot)com, as Patty mentioned above, also has Immunel Colostrum Fraction with Transfer Factor. I would avoid if possible applying topical meds like flea/tick products if you can too since they are pesticides and affect the immune system unless you have some that don’t contain pesticides (ones made with essential oils).

#18419 Report Abuse
    LckyNmbr12
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll check that out as well. I’ve read lots of good things about colostrum.

#18423 Report Abuse
    LckyNmbr12
    Participant

Do either of you happen to know of any resources to use when trying to determine the appropriate dosage for a dog when using human supplements?

#18425 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

This is for 4Life Transfer Factor:

http://www.justaskshirley.com/tfvet.htm

I clicked on the above link from here:

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/AnimalWellness/Pets.aspx

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.