🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    cindy q
    Participant

who feeds this and what do you think of it?

#73909 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I fed it for over a year & the dogs loved it but one of mine does best without produce so I don’t use it anymore.

#73912 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

Thank you, I wonder why this isn’t on the editors choice list?

#73915 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I believe because you have to order it, not “readily available”.

#73923 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

oh ok, I’m ok with that.

#73926 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

I’m currently using Darwins. I like it because they stamp on the package when it was made so I can tell how long it has been frozen. It is a little more watery than Stella & Chewys or Primal. My girl eats it up! I have priced it out, shipping and all, and it is still cheaper than Stella & Chewys 6 lb bag. Even of the less expensive proteins like their chicken. I also like that on average it has less fat in their formulas than other frozen raw. Sometimes the packages do leak. I think I only have had 1 half pound packages leak out of the last 42 lbs. order, so that isn’t too bad. The food is always frozen when it arrives.

i constantly get compliments on my dogs coat and how shiny and soft it is. Her poops are firm and small. She poops about once a day, which is nice. Although I am going to be going to half raw half dehydrated. Just to save a little bit on her food costs.

Have you tried their sample offer? It’s 10 lbs for $14.95. Great deal.

#73979 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

Yes I did get the sample offer, thanks Amy. I am going to be feeding Darwins once a day because I also use a dehydrated raw, Big Dog Natural my dogs love it. I am concerned with it staying frozen all day in the Summer because I work and won’t be home when it’s delivered.

#73996 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Cindy,
    I’ve had frozen food delivered in the summer & it was still frozen solid when I got home.

#74201 Report Abuse
    Denise D

I used to feed Darwin’s to my rottweiler and my daughter started feeding it to her frenchie. When fed the recommended amounts for their sizes, both dogs lost too much weight. My rottie was down from a healthy 85 lbs to 78 lbs before we realized that we would have to feed him 50% more of the recommended amount of Darwin’s to maintain his weight. Same thing with the frenchie. I liked the food, especially the convenience of having it delivered to my house, but the recommended amounts were not correct making this a more expensive food than they say it is.

#74233 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Denise,
    You can have companies such as Hare Today, Raw Feeding Miami, My Pet Carnivore and Reel Raw deliver complete meal grinds to your house, some with free shipping depending on the amount you order.

#74298 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

Lexidog what kind of dog do you have and how much Darwins do you feed?

#74333 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

I just got my order of Darwins yesterday, this morning I fed both my dogs a little with their regular big dog natural food my Standard Poodle threw hers back up, my Toy Poodle did fine with hers. Any one else have a dog that threw it up?

#74336 Report Abuse
    “Blue”

Our shipments arrive frozen solid, did you thaw it before serving? It takes three days in our ‘fridge to thaw fully. And then it has a slight color change. I’m curious if anyone warms it up before serving. I haven’t seen where Darwins says to warm it, but I’d feel better serving it warm or room temp.

#74339 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

Yes, I did thaw it. I received it yesterday and I thawed a pack overnight in the refrig. it was completely thawed this morning when I fed.

#74348 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

I have a 40 lb 3 yr old lab mix. She eats about 1 lb per day if I am only feeding Darwins. She should be getting about 3/4 of a pound but on days where I run her a lot I don’t mind giving her the extra calories. I use the recommend feeding amount around 2% of her body weight.

Right now I am only feeding half Darwins to keep the cost down. So she gets 1/2 lb in the am and then 1/2 c THK in the evening. The 1/2 cup is less than the recommend amount for THK for her weight. I feel like the recommend serving amount for Darwins is right on.

She is spayed and moderately active. We go to the dog park for about 1.5 – 2 hrs a day if we can, where she will run and run the whole time. If not I take her for a quick 2 mile bike ride.

I know when I used to feed my girl her whole serving at one time sometimes she would throw it back up. I believe it was because she was eating too fast. She tends to inhale her food. So now I split it up into 2 servings and she has been fine ever since.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by LexiDog.
    #74350 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

thanks for your reply, my Standard is about 40-44 lbs. I only gave her a little of the Darwins with her big dog natural and she still threw it up.

#74354 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

See if she throws it up when it is just Darwins.

#74355 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

she didn’t throw up with her evening meal!

#74388 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

She didn’t throw up this morning but now with her evening meal she did, I thought I should add Darwins slowly to her other food to transition her. Is it ok to just give her Darwins?

#74394 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

I would think so. You are feeding her a quality food right now. If it is dehydrated raw, the big difference is the moisture content.

#74395 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

ok I’ll try just Darwins in the morning. Thanks!

#74403 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

If she still throws up…you might have to go back to the beginning. Give her regular food and the just start off giving her Darwins as a treat after she has had time to digest her regular food. Then cut back in her regular food and increase her “treats”. But I wouldn’t try feeding them together because you know that doesn’t work. 🙂 Hopefully you will reply that everything stayed where it should have with the 100% Darwins.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.