šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    WhippetsGo2
    Participant

I am posing this situation for a whippet friend in our club. Their 3 year old whippet was not been eating regularly starting beginning of this summer. Tried different foods and such to no avail. Just recently he refused to go on a walk and at the same time the owner noticed that his breathing pattern was off. He was taken to the vet and they discovered through a chest x-ray that he had fluid in his lungs. They drained the fluid, sent it out for testing and it came back as being chylous. They were told, in layman’s terms that means he has trouble digesting fats. He was put on a prescription low fat diet and eating again but 12 days later his breathing symptoms came back and he was rushed to the vet where they extracted even more fluid from his lungs. The vet wants to give the low fat diet a chance to work but if the fluid should return a third time, he wants to do an ultrasound to see if there are any heart issues associated.

In my rudimentary searches, the appearance of fat is expected in chylous fluid. Anyone have any experience? Onset of heart disease? Want to help my peeps ask the right questions.

Brian
    4 x Whippets for racing, coursing, agility & show
    Feeds raw, supplements with 6 Fish and Stella’s Freeze Dried for the road.

#22877 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Chylothorax is a problem of the lymph system leading to the buildup of chyle. It can be in the lungs and in the abdoman so far I’ve seen and my patients need a chest tube or direct aspiration to pull it out. One of my former patients went home on Octreotide, an oral med. Ask your doc about that. I’m not sure if they have a dog equivalent.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.