šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ambystoma
    Participant

I am getting a GSP puppy and have narrowed down the foods, or so I thought.

I think we are going to start him on Fromm Gold Puppy, but I like the look of Taste of the Wild as well for variety once he is out of the puppy stage. However I saw Native being recommended for this specific breed. Of course, I will probably give variety in the form of cans, fresh, and perhaps raw later like I do with my beagle-terrier mutt (he’s on Fromm now but has eaten Wellness and Blue Buffalo as well).

For a puppy, would you stick with Fromm Gold or go ahead and do TOTW or Native Puppy or something else? I can’t quite afford to do all fresh with 2 dogs, so I’m looking for dry with cans/fresh/raw as a supplement.

Thanks!

#22274 Report Abuse
    k9cancer

theres a lot of info on what to feed a puppy here on the forum. search calcium levels in the forum. You wi get a list of recommended foods based o calcium levels

The thread PugMom suggested is a GREAT one, and helped me figure out what to feed my Presa Canario pup (mastiff).
    What youā€™ll find in the thread is that the protein content for large breeds is not nearly as important as the calcium and phosphorous levels. Hound Dog Mom put together a great list of 4 and 5 star grain free foods for large breed pups.

#22277 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I don’t think GSPs are a large breed.

#22282 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I agree with Patty – I wouldn’t consider a GSP to be a large breed so I wouldn’t worry about the calcium levels. Unless the breeder tells you differently. I wouldn’t do TOTW – it’s manufactured by Diamond. I have used Native in the past and I think it’s a great food and very reasonably priced. I would go with the level IV formula (this is what I used) – it’s rated 5 stars and great for active dogs. Fromm is great too. There’s not reason you couldn’t rotate between the two brands or even try other brands.

#22309 Report Abuse
    Ambystoma
    Participant

Thanks! I thought it was ok to rotate brands and vary the diet. It seems boring to have so little variety as the same kibble forever, so I like to add some different foods now and then as well as rotating.

Diamond has recall issues, correct?

#22312 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Yes – I’d recommend avoiding products manufactured by Diamond. Their products are a great value, but it’s not worth the risk – imo.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.