🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ly

If your dog has a really weak stomach….like ANY human food gives him diarrhea, is there a way to toughen his digestive system so he’s like a normal dog? Granted he’s still a puppy, under 1 years old. Will he outgrow it? Should I continue to introduce really small pieces of different food and let him have the diarrhea or is this something that I shouldn’t do? I don’t do it every day so he doesn’t have diarrhea everyday. I don’t know if I am helping him or hurting him.

#53208 Report Abuse
    Kristin C

What are you feeding him? I have one dog who is pretty sensitive. When her stools are loose I give her some canned pumpkin and that clears it up. I have been adding green tripe to her diet which I think helps. I find she does better if I feed her raw food, versus kibble. In fact, I started feeding her raw because I was beside myself on all her barfing and diarrhea while on kibble. If you are integrating healthier, whole food into his kibble diet maybe take it a bit slower. It’s no different than a human used to eating processed food and getting an upset stomach when he eats a salad.

#53209 Report Abuse
    Ly

Every kibble I’ve tried feeding him except BB freedom gave him diarrhea. Now his poops are perfect to a little too hard on BB. But when I give him human food, some of it is loose. I’ll let him lick the top of my yogurt, or give him a penne noodle, or a little piece of a bagel bite, or a cheeto. Anything, I just make sure it’s a tiny tiny piece.

#53210 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi T, when I resuced my boy 2 years ago he would have diarrhea or jelly poos, once a week, in the end vet said IBD..He’s 5 now nilly 6….you need to work out what foods irratate his bowel by doing an elimination diet, I started with boiled chicken & rice but I found that the boiled rice irratated his bowel & he had diarrhea, he can have grounded rice that’s in kibbles but not boiled white rice then I added a tablespoon of boiled pumkin with his boiled chicken breast, he can have pumkin but not too much as his poos get real sloppy, then I added a boiled egg, the egg was Ok, then I added potatos, he got real itchy & had diarrhea, so he cant eat potatots then I tried sweet potatos, he doesnt get diarrhea but he gets itchy ears, you find a protein that agrees with him then start adding just 1 new food & u’ll know within 2 days if it agrees with him or not then if it doesnt agree dont keep giving it to him, it wont toughen up his stomach/bowel, it doesnt agree with him… I found Patch cant have high fat foods either, he can have tin tuna in spring water drained, he can have toast white bread not brown whole meal, human Jatz biscuits & rice cake biscuits.. I dont give dog treats as the fat% is too high & they have crap in some dog biscuits, you’ll start to learn what not to give, the vet made me just give 1 vet prescription diet kibble for 1 year she wanted Patch on it to heal everything but I started to add new foods for breakfast in 6 months, I knew the vet kibble didnt give him diarrhea so I did the elimination food for breakfast, I know your just suppose to just give only that 1 food for the day but I was too scared that it will give him his diarrhea bad again then he’d need to be put back on the Metronidzole tablets to heal his bowel again, Ive tried a few diferent kibbles & he has the Wellness Simple Lamb & Oatmeal now the Wellness Simple was the best out of the other kibbles I tried, It doesnt have Potatos & the fat% isnt high…It will take time but u’ll get there, also Patch is on a DOG probiotic, Karen Becker has a 14 strain probiotic & its dairy free a few dogs with IBS & IBD take her probiotic but introduce at half the recconmended dose when you first try a dog probiotic as some dogs will have diarrhea… keep a diary & start writing what foods agreed with him & what foods he cant eat, also dont just try a bit of carrot 1 day then the next day try a bit of egg, you try just 1 food for 1 week or 5days then if everything is good add another new food to the meal, in the end he was having his tuna, pumkin, boiled egg & carrot all mixed together for breakfast, When I want to try something new I do it at breakfast & nothing else is given that day except his kibble that agrees with him, I start to hear his stomach/bowel rumbling when something didnt agree with him or he starts scatching & I dont give it again its goes on my list. I hope Ive helped a bit, I forgot to ask what type of dog is he???

#53211 Report Abuse
    Ly

He’s a yorkie. He’s almost 9 months. I just wanted to be able to give him my leftovers, instead of throwing them out, at night. 🙂

#53216 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi T, its not recommended giving dogs table left overs, Yorkshire Terries are one of the breeds at risk of acute form of Pancreatitis, so becareful giving any foods that are high in fats…
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_pancreatitis scroll down to “Pathophysiology” & “Risk factors” Im not saying your boy has Pancreatitis or will get Pancreatitis but just be careful with foods that are high in fats as Yorkshire Terriers are prone to Gastrointestinal upsets..
    I give my left overs to the cat when Patch isnt looking & feel sorry for Patch but its not worth up setting his tummy/bowel….

#53220 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi T-
    Try adding a probiotic such as Vetri-pro BD made by Vetri Science. You can buy it on many websites. I usually order it from healthypets.com or Amazon. Best of luck!

#53221 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Hey, T. I second Sue on not giving leftovers. When you first said “human food”, I thought you meant things like raw/cooked lean meats and veggies (no seasonings or only such that are dog-friendly, like cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, a little bit of garlic). Yoghurt is ok, but only if it is plain – not the sweet-ish, fruity-ish stuff a lot of us eat. Noodles are sometimes okay if that’s all they are – one noodle (he really doesn’t NEED it though), and not covered in pasta sauce and seasonings. Cheetos are not very good for humans or pets (they contain formaldehyde and burn like they’re made of pure petrol if you set them on fire).
    Bottom line – anything on your plate for dinner is PROBABLY not good for your doggie, especially cooked bones of any kind, because they could splinter and cause all kinds of internal disasters if he/she doesn’t choke on them first.

Good news though! What you CAN give to your dog are raw or lightly cooked lean meats (no bone) and veggies/fruits, eggs (probably just 1 egg/week for a teeny dog like a yorkie), canned sardines in water with no salt added (their spinal bone is okay to give), plain yoghurt/kefir, and safe seasonings like the ones mentioned above (a pinch of cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, garlic are totally fine). Also coconut oil and canned pumpkin (the plain one, not the pie-filling cans) – the latter can help your dog’s tummy when introducing new foods. You can add a teaspoon of canned pumpkin with every meal at which new food is present, and watch the stool. If it is still bad, back off the new food, and give just pumpkin or just his BB kibble until the stool is normal. Sometimes probiotics and digestive enzymes may help strengthen his/her gut too.

It is really good to supplement a dry kibble with canned or otherwise wetter food, or any of the fresh foods mentioned above. So maybe try that for your pup, and good luck!

#53226 Report Abuse
    Kristin C

Hey T – sounds like you got a lot of varied responses here. If it was me, I’d stick with whatever is working right now (kibble?). Then add one thing each week to see if it works. I personally would not feed more than meat or fruit and vegetables (already puréed). If your dog is experiencing digestive problems after eating “Human” food it may be because he is eating a low quality kibble.

#53242 Report Abuse
    Ly

ok, I won’t give him any anymore. I do have one other question. We walk 1-3 miles a day/night. I was informed by someone with other yorkies that I have to watch their blodd sugar since I walk him so much and said she gives her yorkies a few honey nut cheerios. So after our walk I give him a handful. Agree? Disagree?

#53243 Report Abuse
    Ly

I changed my display name…..

#53256 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Ly, you still can give him some of the things mentioned above! 🙂

As for the cheerios, I really don’t know about yorkies and blood sugar… If I have understood correctly, dogs run on fat rather than carbs, so in order to replenish them after a good workout, protein and fat would be better than carbs, but I really don’t know about the blood sugar aspect… I would hope one of the pros comments on that…

For me, I have a small terrier mix, and before we go exercise, he gets a teaspoon of coconut oil (at breakfast usually), and when we return he gets a protein-rich dinner (we usually go exercise anytime between 6.30-7.00pm, so his dinner is no later than 7.30pm). So far so good, he’s really toned, we call him “muscle pup” and he seems to have a lot of energy while exercising.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.