🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kaylee1989

Hi, I am now trying to stay away from bones that are commericalized for dogs from pet stores, since they seem to be worse for dogs. I am really interested in feeding raw bones. I gave my 1 year old dachshund (14 lbs) his first raw bone yesterday and he loved it. It was a femur bone (that is all the store had that I went to) I want to give bones just as a nice treat and something to keep him occupied. I am not planning on switching to a raw food diet. I currently give him Taste of The Wild dog kibble (1/4 cup) 2 times a day, I also give a couple treats or piece of meat and carrots daily. I was wondering if someone could tell me what bones are good just for fun treats and also how many times a week I should be giving them. Also, do I need to lessen up on the amount of food I give him the day I give him a bone or maybe just no treats that day? Honestly, he could probably stand to lose a couple pounds, so I definitely don’t want to add any more weight. (He seems to be obsessed with food and tries in every which way to get as much as he can with or without my permission) (and yes I have seen a vet about it, they said he is a fine weight but just shouldn’t gain any more) Anyways, any help would be great. I tried finding my own answers, but couldn’t seem to pinpoint exactly what to do. Thanks. 🙂

#32773 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Do you mean consumable bones or recreational bones? Femurs (weight bearing bones) are usually recreational and are too hard to eat and some hard chewers can break teeth on them but femurs have fatty marrow inside (be careful if he’s not used to eating fat) that has calories of course. I find that beef rib bones last a long time since they are too hard to eat for my small dogs and mine also like Merrick GI Bones. Kroger has started carrying small pork marrow bones sometimes. For consumable bones, I’ll give mine pork ribs and chicken parts including feet, duck necks, turkey necks. Merrick also carries raw turkey necks but it’s probably cheaper to get them at the grocery store. If they eat a whole neck or chicken leg, then I just give them some treats the rest of the day. They’ll still get one meal if they get a pork rib bone. I use “food” as treats (freeze dried raw nibletts, freeze dried liver or other meat). I weigh me dogs once a month and adjust accordingly. I usually give a RMB 3 times a week to eat otherwise, they chew on the gnawing bones anytime.

#32774 Report Abuse
    kaylee1989

Oh yeah, sorry about that. I meant recreational. I’m not opposed to giving consumable, if its good for him though. So you would recommend beef rib bones for recreational? I have been looking at GI bones from Merrick and want to order them since they are made in the USA. Nobody carries them in stores around me though. I wanted to make sure they were worth it before I ordered them online.

Are femur bones bad to give then? I just went to a meat marker and asked if they had any bones that people give their dogs and that’s what they gave me :/.

#32782 Report Abuse
    kaylee1989

Thanks so much for you help. I will take your suggestions into definite consideration! Riley will be happy! I love to hear what informed people give their dogs as opposed to people that walk into any old store and buy the nearest rawhide and call it good.

He too loses interest in his deer antler :(. I wish that he didn’t. Seems like the safest chew out there!

Anyways thanks again, I am going to copy and paste your suggestions and save them for future reference.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.