Bad Breath, Parsley

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Bad Breath, Parsley

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Zach M

I am getting back onto these forums after a little leave. Some of you may remember Ginger, she is a 4 year old Whippet/Lab Mix. She is having a breath problem, and I would like to use parsley as a cure. There may be something better than parsley out there, and if there is let me know.
    Back to parsley, now. How much would a 53 pound dog need of parsley a day to freshen breath, and how often? How do I give the parsley to her?
    Thanks in Advance,
    – Zach

#66620 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I have heard of parsley for use of helping bad breath, but I think it more just masks the symptoms than solves the problem. Bad breath is often a symptom of dental disease, so I would recommend getting your vet to look at Ginger’s teeth and assessing whether or not she needs them professionally cleaned. If she doesn’t, or after the cleaning if she does, then I would recommend brushing her teeth with dog toothpaste to keep the plaque off, which usually helps with bad breath. Some toothpastes help with bad breath by being mint scented. RMBs and other chews can also sometimes help with teeth issues. If her teeth are clean and she still has bad breath, and you have gotten a clean bill of health from the vet, then parsley could be a good option.

#66621 Report Abuse
    Oleanderz

I personally haven’t heard of the parsley method, but I totally agree with D_O with teeth brushing. It only takes a couple minutes of your day. I usually only brush the outsides of my dogs teeth, but when I do do the insides I take this poultry flavored toothpaste with the finger brush and clean it that way. http://smile.amazon.com/Virbac-CET401-CET-Oral-Hygiene/dp/B004ULZ2PI/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1424017655&sr=8-28&keywords=dog+toothpaste She literally picks up the “teefs box”, brings it to us and cries for the toothpaste. My vet recommended it for her, and we’ve been brushing her pearly whites since she was a pup!

#66622 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Thanks everyone! I used to brush her teeth, but she would be in pain when i did so. I lightly brushed, but I think the toothbrush had hard bristles. Oleanderz, are the bristles on that toothbrush soft?

#66624 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Using a soft toothbrush or finger brush can greatly help, but if she still seems to be in pain then I would definitely take her to the vet to make sure nothing is up with her mouth.

#66625 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Zach:
    In addition to what Dog Obsessed posted, another reason I would have her checked out by a Vet would be the odor could be emanating from her stomach as well. I also agree that parsley or any other product that is marketed for bad breath is just a temporary fix. It’s best for your dog to find the source of the bad breath rather than masking it.

#66626 Report Abuse
    Oleanderz

Zach M- The toothbrush bristles are moreso firm rather than soft. The smaller (precision) brush head is the softest of the two, but if Ginger’s teeth still hurt with the precision brush I’d go with the finger brush. If all else fails, then I think she might need to schedule an appointment for the primary teeth/gum care doctor. Dogs can’t really express pain as vocally and verbally as we do; they’d just keep it trucking if they can’t fix it themselves. So if something’s down I’d go get her checked out. Good luck!

#66636 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Thanks Everyone!

#66638 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Zach, I think you need to fix her stomach problem first… When I rescued Patch he was
    having bad breath after 2 years not knowing what was wrong with him, I had a Endoscope & Biopsies done & Patch had the Helicobacter Infection, he was put on Triple Therapy & now the bad breath has all gone even if you can get the vet to write a script for Metronidazole 2 weeks worth, Metronidazole is a stomach & bowel antibiotic, also my vet said to STOP any dog or human probiotics & any dog foods with probiotics, give natural probiotic like Kefir…. http://www.kefir.net/kefir-vs-yogurt/

#66698 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Ill look into that, Susan. Thanks!

#76906 Report Abuse
    Mike M

Sorry to bump this older topic… I have a 14 year old dog that had terrible bad breath, we tried a lot of different techniques, eventually we tried giving her chicken and natural food including parsley and her teeth became cleaner and the bad breath went away.. I made a short youtube clip about it, all three of my dogs have benefited from the natural foods.

If you want to watch my clip it is located here: https://youtu.be/NKBxhAh_17Y

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.