šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    gmcbogger38

Hey guys, sorry, I have some more questions regarding raw. I work at an upscale pet boutique and we sell commercial raw diets. I was given expired Nature’s Variety frozen raw for free because we obviously cannot sell that to the public. It expired in October of 2012. I was told it would be fine to feed because it has been frozen the entire time, but I’m a little uneasy to feed it. What opinions do y’all have about this? Also, if I decide to use a premix for raw instead of kibble will I need to add any supplements or will the premix have that covered (I’m assuming it will)? I like what I read about Nupro and wouldn’t mind using that as a supplement if needed. I will be adding probiotics and digestive enzymes. Do y’all recommend feeding fresh meats from the store or commercial raw to add to the premix? If I feed fresh from the store do I need to freeze for a few days to kill off any parasites? I’m just paranoid I’m going to screw something up, but I’m honestly tired of feeding kibble because no matter what the quality is it just doesn’t seem good enough for me.

#20265 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

When using a premix, use what the premix says to use, usually boneless meats from the store. The only thing I would worry about adding to a premix that it might not sat is omega 3s, everything else should be in there, and the omega 3s might be, but they are very sensitive to degradation.

Fresh from the store should be parasite free, I still freeze pork, just in case. Also, if you know any hunters and get meat from them, that needs to be frozen first.

As long as the expired stuff has not defrosted and been refrozen, I would feed it. Just be aware that some of the vitamins may have degraded and don’t feed solely it for a long period.

#20267 Report Abuse
    gmcbogger38

Thank you so much!

#20306 Report Abuse
    gmcbogger38

One of my dogs has thrown up every time she has eaten raw meat except once. I’m not giving her a large amount, just enough for her to taste and get used to eating meat. Could it be the fact that her digestive tract is not strong enough? My other 2 dogs do just fine. I’m really hoping she can eventually eat raw because that’s what I want to switch them to. Right now I am mixing in the small amount of raw with kibble, so maybe that is her problem?

#20309 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I have heard from one person whose dog does that and her dog can handle raw just fine when it isn’t given with kibble, she just can’t mix them. Everybody else, including myself, has no trouble with mixing raw and kibble. Try giving her just a little bit of raw all by itself and see what happens. Do you give probiotics or digestive enzymes? Because it could be a case of not having the right microflora, they do help with digestion. Also, some dogs don’t produce enough stomach acid to close the valve at the top of the stomach so they have acid reflux, and what they eat does have an effect on that, so adding a little apple cider vinegar to her food may help.

#20320 Report Abuse
    gmcbogger38

I will be giving her probiotics and digestive enzymes, but haven’t gotten around to getting those. I need to do that soon. I will definitely try giving her the raw only and seeing how she does. Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.