šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    gmcbogger38

I have a question, but a quick history, first. I had my two dogs, American Bulldog and Rat Terrier, on Nutro Ultra for about 2 years and never had any issues. When I got my Saint Bernard I switched them to Nutro Natural Choice and fed them that for awhile and, once again, never had any issues. I started research on foods and found that there are better foods than Nutro, so I switched my dogs to ACANA and ever since then I have fed them high quality, grain free kibbles and even fed raw for a little bit. They are now on grain free/potato free kibble, but ever since I switched to ACANA my Saint Bernard starting having, what I believe, is a yeast issue. Could it be the potato that ultimately caused the yeast because she never had it before. Anyway, that is when I switched to a grain and potato free kibble and fed raw. Her issues never stopped and now my American Bulldog is having some skin issues. The only things I have changed was their food. Now, I am thinking I need to go back to Nutro and see if it really is the food causing their new issues. Has anybody else experienced this? Is it out of the ordinary that they would do better on a grain inclusive kibble?

#28669 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’m a little confused. You said they’re on grain/potato free now, then you mentioned Acana. Is the Acana you fed grain/potato free? Sorry if I’m not following along. As far as Nutro, I’ve never thought much of their foods, there are better choices, IMO.

#28710 Report Abuse
    gmcbogger38

Sorry. I started off with ACANA (not potato free) from Nutro and that is when I started seeing issues. Thinking it was yeast, I then switched them to a grain free and potato free food. I have tried several high quality brands, and even raw, but nothing is helping. So, I wondered if the ACANA with potato could have triggered allergies and if that would even be possible? I then wondered if switching them back to a grain inclusive food would help, since they did fine before with grains. I mean my ultimate question is this: is it possible that some dogs do better on grain inclusive foods? It just seems like everyone says grains are bad.

#28782 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Ok so if they had Acana that HAS potato (is Nutro potato free?), then I’d say it may be the potato. Dogs don’t need grains but lots of dogs do fine with grains. My advice to you is to look at Natures Logic. No potato and the only grain is millet. My dog does spectacular on it. Go to their website, look for the link to their blogs, lots of information. I have to order it because no one has it local but I highly recommend it.

#28800 Report Abuse
    gmcbogger38

I actually started looking into Nature’s Logic and thought it seemed like a good food, so I will definitely look into that one more and try it out. Thanks!

#28823 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

You’re welcome!

#29789 Report Abuse
    Angeldogs
    Participant

Read deeper into the label…..look for potato GLUTEN. Made from white potatoes. Some of the labeled sweet potato foods still have potato gluten in them.

#30147 Report Abuse

I have had a lab with softer stolls now for several months and the vets have not been in treating this with metrodonizole. One of the techs’ mentioned a possibility today of a food allergy. Does anyone have a sugestion for a limited or ingle protein food? She seems to do better on foods with a min of grains. The above suggestion of Nature’s Logic seems like an interesting one. Has anyone found theeir dogs to have soft stools and treated it successfully with diet? I plan to try a novel protein not chicken) and see if this helps my 13 yr. old girl. Is there an blood allergy screen the vet can run?
    Thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.