🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    eli s

My sweet Tibetan Terrier is approaching 16 years old. One of her eyes is is already blue-cloudy. According to the vet, this is not cataract, but rather aging of the lens. According to him, she cant see with that eye. The other eye so far is not fully cloudy yet, but I can see that it starts to spread and I assume that at some point that eye will become cloudy as well. She already has problem with direct sun and outside she is taking her steps carefully.

My question is, is there anyone here who knows what im talking about or has the same experience with their dog?

Do they really not see anything through the cloudy eye?

I dont know how it would be for her when both eyes are cloudy. Would she even manage to see where she goes?

#45747 Report Abuse
    Dori

My almost 15 year old Maltese (Hannah) has blue cloudy eyes for approx. two years. Both eyes. She can still see just not as good as she used to. Her difficulty is more in the evening. Kind of like night blindness. It’s not that she’s blind, just harder to see. Where she used to be able to run up and down the stairs in the dark, now I leave the lights on for her and she’s perfectly fine. She doesn’t really have problems in the daylight, certainly not in the house, but I haven’t really noticed anything unusual in the yard in the daylight either. If it’s old age cloudiness then there is no reason to believe that your dog will go completely blind. How do you know she’s blind in that one eye? Did the vet just say so or have you tested it out?

#45750 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I believe that’s the problem LabsRawesome had with her dog. I remember reading in the reviews that once she switched her dog to Victor it cleared up. The Victor dog food contains montmorillonite and I think that’s the ingredient that she said cleared up her dog’s eyes. I am not positive if that was the problem her dog was having, but I do remember it was something with the eyes and it cleared up after switching foods.

So, maybe go to the review side, find a recent comment from LabsRawesome and ask her.

Good Luck!!

#45751 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Cyndi. Yes it was Labs. Lots of foods contain the montmorillonite clay, even some raw foods but it didn’t work for Hannah. I also tried Victors Yukon, the one Labs feeds (first kibble I fed her in over a year) but it never changed anything for Hannah. I know it did work for one of Labs’ dogs, lucky her.
    Anyway it’s always worth a shot. I don’t recall how old her dog was, could have been that her dog was much younger than my Hannah. Don’t know? I was so excited when she told me about it and then so disappointed.

#45752 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I’ll send her a link to this post and see if she has any insight.

Dori, I didn’t realize you tried the food and it didn’t change anything for Hannah. 🙁 Maybe Labs’ dog was younger and it wasn’t an age related problem. I don’t recall how old she said her dog was either…

#45755 Report Abuse
    Dori

That’s a good idea Cyndi. Yeah, I was pretty bummed.

#45777 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Her lab is ten. I wasn’t sure if she was talking about pigment in the whites of the eye though.

#45782 Report Abuse
    Dori

eli s. If you want to look up the condition on line, google Nuclear Sclerosis. That’s the medical term for it.

By the way, a Tibetan Terrier that is 16 years old is really very impressive. I used to have Tibetan Terrier’s. My last passed away 8 years ago this past June. Still miss her every day. What true characters they are. And such personalities. You’ve obviously been doing a lot right so don’t go to crazy scaring yourself about the vision. It’s part of the aging process for all of us. Unfortunately there are some things that come with age for our fur babies and ourselves that we simply can’t escape. I wish we could. Try not to stress around your dog cause as you know, they know every feeling you have so just breathe.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by Dori.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.