🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

Does anyone know of a puppy food that is grain free, potato free, and chicken and beef free? I am specifically looking for a puppy food, not an all-life stages food.

Thanks,

Shelly

#25357 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Do you have a large or giant breed puppy? They have special considerations regarding their diet. If not, here’s a good place to start for a list of the grain-free/potato-free foods:

/forums/topic/grain-and-potato-free-dog-foods/

Regarding “all life stage” vs “puppy”, if a food is “all life stages” then it includes “puppy”.

#25358 Report Abuse
    Participant

I do have a large breed dog and I am specifically looking for a puppy food. Thanks for any help you can provide. I have looked at the list you mentioned, but it is not split up according to puppy food.

#25359 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

Off the top of my head, this is what I’d do if I were searching. I would go to chewy dot com and search for dry dog food then you can narrow it down by choosing “puppy” then grain free and then by the meat you’d like to feed such as lamb. That will narrow it down and from there you’ll just have to check the ingredients they list for each food at chewy and see if it contains beef or chicken or potatoes.

#25364 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi 5924920 –

Just so you’re aware – an “all life stages food” is a “puppy food.” There’s no difference in the nutrient requirements for the food, the only difference is how the company chooses to market the food. The AAFCO only recognizes two nutrient profiles: growth or adult maintenance. If a food conforms to the more stringent growth profile it can then be labeled as a growth (puppy) formula or an all life stages formula. Most high quality brands market all life stages foods only because they don’t wish to produce the lower quality maintenance foods, so by searching for a “puppy” food only you’d be severely limiting your options and not getting any advantage over an all life stages food.

#25477 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

To the OP,listen to what HoundDogMom is saying.

#26345 Report Abuse
    lmgarrett
    Participant

I want to change my toy poodle to a grain free puppy food. I am overwhelmed by this site – which would be best? She only weighs 4 pounds right now.

#26894 Report Abuse
    2dogmom
    Participant

Hi,
    I am getting an 8 week old Golden Retriever (English Cream). I had planned on feeding him Nature’s Logic Dry (all stages food), however I started reading a recent post about high calcium levels and growth issues. Can you tell me if I should avoid that food? If so, HoundDogMom what do you suggest? I’m focusing on dry food or dry mixed with cans. I thought I found the perfect food in Nature’s Logic, now I’m second guessing that choice with all the posts about large breeds and calcium intake. I did purchase a bag and started feeding it to my picky Sheltie (almost 2 years old).. When I think I’ve settled on a food, I keep reading about gassy foods or loose stools and I’m not sure what to do. HELP!

#26897 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

You need to read the entire Large and Giant Breed Puppy Nutrition thread and print up the google doc on pg 15 to take with you to the dog food boutiques in your area.
    /forums/topic/large-and-giant-breed-puppy-nutrition/

#27018 Report Abuse
    MsDad
    Participant

In regards to Nature’s Logic dry, that’s what I’m feeding my Goldendoodle puppy. I actually spoke with Scott (the owner of the company – he’ll talk to anyone who calls!) and he explained the higher calcium and phosphorous levels in the food. The way he explained it to me, all the Vitamin D comes from natural food sources – there’s no added Vitamin D3, which can cause overabsorption of calcium and phosphorous.

#27079 Report Abuse
    2dogmom
    Participant

Scott is great about returning emails too. He explained so much to me, I’m confident I made the right choice in picking Nature’s Logic for my new puppy.

Don’t feed added supplements and watch any other foods you introduce into their diets. It’s that combination along with combining certain minerals that throw off the chemical balance that cause levels to spike or exceed “standards”. I am glad there is no added D3 in NL which as stated above could result in over absorption. I get it.

Thanks everyone.

#27084 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It would be nice if Scott had research to back up that claim.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.