šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    weezerweeks
    Participant

My yorkie has been on long term use of Pepcid for his digestive issues. My vet suggested it. said it wouldn’t hurt him but I’ve been reading it can delete his b12. Anyone know about this? It really works but I’m scared now.

#115414 Report Abuse
    Susie

Mine takes PEpcid also and was super low on b12. So now we buy cobalequin b12 from our vet and he gets it daily. Iā€™m concerned too because i donā€™t know if the supplements work when on Pepcid. You can test b12 and folate. It isnā€™t cheap. I donā€™t know if knowing their b12 serum is really going to matter though because maybe it will show high since they are being supplemented. I wish i had answers for you and me. Is your dog on Pepcid forever? Mine is supposed to be. I give it about 3 times a week now instead of daily. Please post if you find anything out. Maybe someone will have answers for us.

#115415 Report Abuse
    Susie

I will add that I think mine was low prior to being on Pepcid. He was having major gi issues and diagnosed with IBD. He was low folate too. We supplement b12 and folate because b12 needs folate to absorb.

#115417 Report Abuse
    Kimberly S
    Participant

Have either of you tried purchasing your supplements online through Chewy or 1800PETMEDS? Just a suggestion for a cost savings measure. Especially if this is something that your fur babies need to be on forever it might be worth a look. Just a suggestion.
    Best of luck in keeping your babies healthy!!
    That’s what is important.
    Kim

#115419 Report Abuse
    Susie

Thanks. I buy everything but vitamin b and Pepcid from chewy. I get nutramax Cobalequin and itā€™s way over priced thru vet but i found Affordablevwt.com that sells it for less. Just not sure they are legit.

#115428 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I don’t buy anything from 1-800 meds because I had a friend who bought heartworm medicine from them and gave it every month and her dog got heartworms. They had to pay for the treatment because she proved it. I think it had something to do with storage. Susie I’ve heard that only the injections work. I’m going to see my vet tomorrow to see what he says.

#115432 Report Abuse
    Susie

I believe there is new research that says oral is as effective as injections per Texas a & m. But if your dog doesnā€™t have Intrinsic factor you may need injections and maybe if your dogā€™s gut is so out of whack it may not work. Max did get retested and his levels rose after the oral so st least it worked for him. I wasnā€™t keen on injections which we did for a while. He hates it and I didnā€™t like giving him all the crap that is included in the b12 injection. Heā€™s small and i wonder if the synthetic b12 is safe for him. I will just purchase through the vet. A bottle lasts forever because now he takes half a tablet a day rather than one.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.