šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    neezerfan

Help! I’ve had my rescue guy Reo for 3 months now and he’s always been kind of anxious, pacing and spinning and generally nervous. He’s always slept in the kitchen because I need a break from him at night and after the first few days with us, he’s been OK with that. Tonight, I don’t know what set him off, but he was howling, barking and banging against the cabinets. I ignored him till 2:30 but DH needs to sleep so I came down stairs. Reo was in such a tizzy, pacing and panting. I didn’t talk to him or make eye contact. I gave him Benedryl (looked up appropriate dose), then put some chicken and pumpkin in a Kong. I’ve been sitting where he can see me but ignoring him. He’s been quiet but still pacing and panting behind the gate. Not really interested in the Kong. Actually, it’s been an hour since the Benedryl and he’s starting to lay down and be calm now.

I had already been looking at both Rescue Remedy and DAP spray for him but I don’t know if those things work. Has anyone tried them? Good or not? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

#44021 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Neezerfan. If it were me I would call the vet, let them know what’s happened and see if they feel they should see him. I had a dog once that I had a similar experience with (Tracy, a Tibetan Terrier), we took her to the vet and they had her on intravenous fluids to flush her system out. Turned out she had gotten in a box of chocolate donuts and we hadn’t realized it.

Keep us posted. If he’s ingested something, it needs to be flushed out. Is he drinking enough water? How is he doing now? I don’t want to alarm you, but you shouldn’t mask his symptoms without knowing what’s happening with him.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by Dori.
    #44026 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

Thanks Dori. Right now he’s calm as anything, sitting in the chair with me. Normal good appetite for breakfast. Once DH got up for work at 5:15, did the lights, radio, activity thing, Reo settled down and slept. I was looking at this as an exacerbation of his already anxious personality. Your point is well taken and I will watch for any other signs of illness.

#44027 Report Abuse
    Dori

I wonder if he just heard something outside and it simply freaked him out since he’s already anxious. Maybe he thought he was trying to warn you or something. Hope it’s that simple. Glad he’s calm now and acting more normal for him. Hope all continues to be well.

#44028 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

What about a thundershirt?

#44033 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

Ugh, it was pretty bad and at 4 in the morning and no sleep I was letting my thoughts get away from me. This breed can have separation anxiety. I was hoping he is not just now showing his true self and that’s why he was given up. One day at a time I guess….

#44043 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Both RR and DAP work for some dogs and not for others. For seperation anxiety, some dogs do well if they have a very den-like kennel. My fave after a cozy kennel is the Thundershirt. I have seen it work in soooooo many situation, you would not believe.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.