🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    DogsAreMyLife
    Participant

Hi there, I’m wondering if people could list some foods that meet the requirements below, please.
    * Grain Free
    * Low Ash
    * Absolutely nothing sourced or made in China (I’d prefer USA, Canada or Europe)
    * Nothing from Diamond
    * Little to no recalls
    * Meat based. not plant based

I have three dogs, and I’d like to do a rotation diet. They were on Taste of the Wild, but I just don’t feel comfortable with Diamond products.
    Since leaving TOTW, they’ve been on Farmina N&D Grain Free Chicken, and Annamaet Grain Free Manitok. I love these two brands (as do the dogs), but I’d like some suggestions so I can include a bit more variety.

I very much appreciate any help! 🙂

#49247 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I haven’t been to dogforums dot com in a while, but there were a couple threads there with lists of low ash foods.

#49259 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

I believe Dr. Tim’s products claim to be low ash, you could check them out.

#49279 Report Abuse
    DogsAreMyLife
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll go look into that brand. 🙂

#49288 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I like grain free Victor! Not sure of its ash content, however.

#49290 Report Abuse
    DogsAreMyLife
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll send them an email to find out. 🙂

#49320 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

Yes, I feed my Golden Dr Tim’s All Stages Kinesis and it is 5.8% ash. She loves the food. My GSD eats Tim’s PERSUIT and loves that. It’s more stepped up.

#49322 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

Will add that Kinesis comes in GF and G inclusive. The golden is eating the G inclusive now. But last bag was GF. I rotate. I used to do TOW for both dogs and dropped it due to Diamond being scary. Fromm has been good for them too. Golden loves The Salmon veggie meal. Dr. Tims is on the DFA Budget List and is five star. If you go to Dr Tim’s website you can read about this food. Dr. Tim will email you if you have questions. He has carefully mixed the formulations (as expl on the website) and there have been NO recalls. The plant where it is made qualifies in accord to the European requirements (which is good bec they are more stringent than the USA.) Suggest you read about Dr. Tim. I think he cares a lot and has been thoughtful about his foods– or else he’s fooled me. Good luck.

#49330 Report Abuse
    DogsAreMyLife
    Participant

I did look into Dr. Tim’s, and there appears to be a chicken based kibble, and a salmon & pork based kibble. The level of ash in the salmon & pork seems a bit high (8.9%), but the 6.9% in the GF Kinesis is relatively reasonable, and it has 2% more protein than Annamaet’s chicken based kibble. I wish the chicken based Farmina had a lower ash level (7.8%), because I really like the 37% protein level. <–That was mostly just written out for me to keep track.
    I’ll probably use Dr. Tim’s Kinesis one month, then Farmina’s Wild Herring, and Annamaet’s Manitok.
    As for the Fromm, I feel the amount of fruit/veg is too high. I prefer my guys to get mostly meat. I’d do Prey Model Raw, if I had freezer space.

Thank you for your suggestions everybody! If there are any other food that anyone can think of, please feel free to list them as well. I’d love to have one more protein, to throw in the rotation.

#49333 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi-
    Did you check out Victor Ultra Pro? I think it had 42 percent protein. Again, not sure about ash.

#49334 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Victor Ultra Pro ash is 9.4%, so on the higher side… Most of their GF formulas have it around 8%.

#49335 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Otherwise awesome food though! 🙂

#49336 Report Abuse
    DogsAreMyLife
    Participant

Whoops, I meant to comment on the Victor. Thank you for the suggestion, but as Naturella stated, the ash is too high.

#49338 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Wellness CORE is my go-to grain free food. Here is some info on where they get their ingredients. It does appear they get some of their vitamins from China, but they haven’t had a recall that I know since splitting off from Diamond however many years ago. Over all, it’s my favorite brand.

http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/wellness-dog-food.html

#49363 Report Abuse
    DogsAreMyLife
    Participant

Hmm, I’ll consider Wellness. 🙂 I bet my guys would really like the Wild Game variety. I am a bit iffy on the vitamin c and taurine being from China, but I like this from the link you provided: “Their Vitamin C and Taurine is from China, and is then tested at their plants to ensure they are 100% pure ingredients.”
    I went to their website, but I don’t see ash listed. I’ll just send them a message to find out. 🙂 Thank you for the suggestion!

#49369 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Wellness is a great food. You won’t be sorry if you chose to try it. They also have $5 off any size bag coupons on their website 😉

#49373 Report Abuse
    losul

Hi DAML,

I like your choices of foods the Farmina and Annamaet. I also think Wellness would be a solid 3rd choice for your rotation. I was talking to a fellow awhile back on the review boards that worked at a plant producing chicken meal. He said that Wellpet had the most strict and demanding specs of any of their customers and they were very quick to reject a load that didn’t meet those specs, part of those specs would be ash content.

Wellness Core is one of the very few foods that GURANTEES MAX levels for both calcium and phosphorus in their guaranteed analysis. In the original CORE, not more than 2% calcium and not more than 1.4% Phosphorus. Because calcium and phosphorus are the 2 largest components making up ash (the macrominerals)in a dog food diet, the total ash should be low.

This from Amazon, also a chart there if you scroll down;

CORE® formulas have controlled mineral content levels and use high quality, lower ash meats. High-quality meats can cost almost twice as much as lower quality meats and have 50 – 75% lower ash levels.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by losul.
    #49379 Report Abuse
    losul

I worded a sentence wrong and just realized, can’t edit again.

Because calcium and phosphorus (macrominerals), are the 2 largest components making up ash in a dog food diet, the total ash (all minerals) should be low.

#49389 Report Abuse
    DogsAreMyLife
    Participant

“Because calcium and phosphorus (macrominerals), are the 2 largest components making up ash in a dog food diet, the total ash (all minerals) should be low.”

Oh! Thank you for that info, I had no idea. Thank you for the other info, as well! 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.