February 22, 2013 – Hy-Vee, Inc. has issued a voluntary recall of certain packages of Hy-Vee dog food due to elevated levels of a toxic compound commonly found in contaminated corn.
The products were manufactured at a plant operated by Pro-Pet, LLC of Kansas City.
The FDA has confirmed the recall in a recent news bulletin.
Aflatoxin is typically caused by the growth of Aspergillus flavus mold and can be harmful to pets if consumed in significant quantities.
Symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning include sluggishness or lethargy combined with a reluctance to eat, vomiting, yellowish tint to the eyes or gums or diarrhea.
Where Were the Products Sold?
The recalled products carry three different “Best By” dates and were distributed between October 26, 2012 and January 11, 2013 to Hy-Vee stores in the states of…
- South Dakota
What’s Being Recalled?
The following products are subject to the recall:
- Hy-Vee Complete Dog Complete Nutrition (Green 34 lb. bag) UPC #07545005647 with lot number ending with 29812KC and a “Best By” date of 11/24/13
- Hy-Vee Complete Dog Complete Nutrition (Green 8 lb. bag) UPC #07545005667 with a lot number ending with 29812KC and a “Best By” date of 11/24/13
- Hy-Vee Complete Dog Complete Nutrition (Green 4.4 lb. bag) UPC #07545005665 with a Lot number ending with 29812KC and a “Best By” date of 11/24/13
- Hy-Vee Complete Dog Complete Nutrition (Green 4.4 lb. bag) UPC #07545005665 with a lot number ending with 29912KC and a “Best By” date of 11/25/13
- Hy-Vee Complete Dog Bites, Bones & Squares (Yellow 20 lb. bag) UPC #07545005680 with a lot number ending with 29312KC and a “Best By” date of 11/19/13
- Hy-Vee Complete Dog Bites, Bones & Squares (Yellow 4.4 lb. bag) UPC #07545005560 with a lot number ending with 29312KC and a “Best By” date of 11/19/13
The recall is limited to the products, sizes, codes or dates listed above. No other Hy-Vee dog food products are affected by the recall.
According to the company, no illnesses have been reported in dogs consuming the product and that the product does not pose a health risk to humans handling it.
The company has removed all potentially affected products from Hy-Vee stores.
What to Do?
Customers are urged to check the “Best By” dates on any product they have at home and refrain from feeding any of the recalled products to their pets.
Any bags of Hy-Vee dog food subject to the recall, whether opened or unopened, may be returned to Hy-Vee stores for a full refund.
Consumers with questions may contact the company at (800) 289-8343. This number is staffed Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4 pm CST.
You can report complaints about FDA-regulated pet food products by calling the consumer complaint coordinator in your area.
Or go to http://www.fda.gov/petfoodcomplaints.
Get Critical Dog Food Recall Alerts
Delivered to You by Email