Treadmills

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Treadmills

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    momtopoms

Anyone have experience using treadmills to exercise small dogs? Wondering about using people versus dog treadmill for small dogs. Just panning ahead for Texas summer.

#33684 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If you train them very carefully and watch them very closely while on the treadmill, it can be a safe way for a dog to get some exercise, but it is extremely easy for a dog to be hurt by a treadmill.

#33701 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I’ve never used one, but if I had access to one I’d love to try it out. Training should be done very carefully and always keep an eye on the dog, as it’s easy for her to hurt herself on it. I’m assuming they’re legal in your area. There are many places around here where dog treadmills are illegal, due to the fact that dog fighters use them to condition their fighters.

#33942 Report Abuse
    Leah12345

I love the idea of using a treadmill. Are there treadmills just for dogs or would a human treadmill suffice? My 12 lb. dog need daily exercise and our weather is iffy about 50% of the time so I would consider this if I could find some information.

#33952 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

They do make treadmills for dogs, I believe. Many people make them at home even, totally “dog powered”. You could also use regular treadmills, but make sure to carefully train the dog, and ALWAYS monitor him, as it’s very easy for them to initially have fear of it, and hurt themselves.

#34978 Report Abuse
    Jackie B

I have an elderly friend who fosters small dogs. She trains every foster to a treadmill. She uses treats and a leash at first, then eventually most dogs will walk on their own without the leash. She uses a human treadmill she purchased used. It is a great idea for Texas summers. The mid-day heat will blister your pup’s feet and the heat is miserable.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.