šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Heather S

4 year old lab mix 70 lbs. in April 2013, she had a bladder/urinary track infection. Found out she had struvites. She had been eating EARTHBORN Whitefish. Some time later, leaking began. After talking to makers of EARTHBORN, we switched to adult vantage. Also began supplementing with Solid Gold cranberry powder. Struvites and leaking continued. In June 2014, had urine tested and everything came back normal, even the pH. Except she still had struvites and was still leaking. Finally gave in to putting her on Royal Canin OS. Vet has been insisting for a year that she has to be on it, and for the rest of her life! Called 2 other vets that said it was the only option for struvites. No one would address the urine leakage as long as she had the crystals. After 2 months, crystals were gone, but but still leaking. Tried INCURIN for 3 weeks, still leaking. Switched to PROPAC GRAIN FREE, and started PROIN ON 7/22/14, and also started the Solid Gold again. On 9/13, she leaked. Did a urine test at the vet and pH was 7. Vet says only option is the ROYAL CANIN, bc pH is going up. I checked pH at home today and it said 8. She leaked even when struvites were gone, but we keep being told leaking is bc of crystals and pH going up. I can’t afford, and don’t want our dog to be on the ROYAL CANIN for life! Isn’t there any affordable, dry dog food, that will lower pH? And prevent crystals? PLEASE, PLEASE, HELP! I don’t understand why this is so hard to treat and don’t believe the only option is ROYAL CANIN.

#53065 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I can’t help with the leakage but I wanted to comment on the crystals. A previous dog had recurrent crystals. My vet said special food wasn’t necessary. It’s very important to get enough fluid into your dog. Dry food is the worst; wet food is best: raw, dehydrated, canned. If you must feed dry, please add canned & water to it. Aldo make sure he has ample opportunity to urinate. My vet also told me to give my dog one vitamin C tablet but don’t do that without talking to your vet.

#53068 Report Abuse
    Heather S

We always float her food and she has access to her water at all times. I work from home so frequent potty breaks are not a problem either. I feel she should probably drink more, but I can’t seem to. Are her. We also started sprinkling a bit of salt on her food to see if it increase her thirst. Wet food is a good idea, but for a big dog, that would be very costly wouldn’t it?

#53070 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Dogs don’t drink the amount of water that they need; all dogs. That’s why wet food is better for all dogs & especially for dogs with crystals. Do a search here on DFA for dr Karen becker and her videos on what is the best food.

Salt? Please don’t do that. Sometimes chicken broth is recommended but always low sodium.

Yes wet foods are costly but this should be about the health of your dog. What’s cheaper: wet foods or vet foods?

#53074 Report Abuse
    Jackie B

Sometimes dehydrated foods (add your own water) can be a cheaper alternative to canned, but they have just as much moisture once rehydrated. Worth checking out. I do not know if any are suitable for the treatment of struvite crystals.

Also, a dog water fountain that you plug in worked for my UTI-prone dog. The Big Dog Max is for larger dogs (I use the CatMate for my little ones).

#53080 Report Abuse
    Heather S

The royal canin is high in salt. The high salt content is what encourages the dog to drink more and flush out the crystals. That is why we put a pinch of salt on her food. I saw it recommended somewhere. We put a lot of water in her food, but maybe it is still not enough. So frustrated. It is such a common problem, but there are no consistent answer for treatment other than the overpriced vet food. Thanks for any input.

#53126 Report Abuse
    Dori

I think you should put your dog on a dehydrated food like The Honest Kitchen. Their ingredients are all high quality and manufactured in the USA in a human food plant. The only other company that can say that is Weruva. I agree that canned would be the more expensive way to go, but as Marie alluded to, you are spending quite a bit of money at the vet I would imagine. Whichever way you go, I would definitely get your dog off dry kibble. Try dehydrated and give it a chance. Good luck and please post back and let us know how things are going.

#53132 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Well, I gave you options, from my experience with these crystals, which were helpful and worked for me. You don’t seem to want to use my suggestions do I’ll bow out and hope someone comes along with the answer you want to hear.

#53141 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The leakage may be a hormonal issue related to spaying rather than from the crystals.

#53168 Report Abuse
    Barbara

One of my dogs has had leakage problems twice in the last 2 years. She is a Husky Shepherd mix going on 12 yrs and about 75 lbs. After blood and urine tests to make sure there was no other indications my vet decided it was a hormonal issue due to spaying as theBCnut suggested. Both times he had her on diethylstilbestrol 1mg for only a short time (less than a month each time). I know it is a hormone supplement and it worked great both times. I do not know what others on the site think of this hormone treatment but it did work. Also it is important they get enough exercise. Good luck with your dog.

#53170 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

That is interesting. My furry nephew had leakage problems not long after he was neutered. They gave him some testosterone shots which helped immensely and hasn’t had a problem since. He’s probably about 6 years old now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.