Proper Probiotic/Enzyme Dosages for Dogs

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Supplements Proper Probiotic/Enzyme Dosages for Dogs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kim L

Hello,

I have posted on other topics before, so forgive me if this background is a repeat for anyone. I have a rescued Shih Tzu that has developed allergies in the past year or so. The vet says they aren’t super serious as they only really cause red skin/crust under one armpit, but I know they are yeast-related so I have decided to start on Nusentia Probiotic AND Enzyme Miracle.

My question is that since his skin is already infected, I am clearly going to use these at the higher doseage suggested and not just a maintenance dose. I know any results could take weeks to see. In the meantime, I have also read that plain Kefir and coconut oil are great Probiotics as well. Would it be ok to also give him one or both of these in smaller doses? I certainly do not want to overdose him, but from what I have read, “overdosing,” per say, is not super likely.

Anyway, I would just love some suggestions/ideas/other things I can use to help my poor guy feel better. I already bathe him in the Malaseb shampoo and have Zymox drops for his infrequent ear infections. I try ACV in his water when I can, but he realllllllllly hates it so it isn’t a real option for me.

Thanks!

#41044 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

How many different strains are in the probiotic that you are using? Look for one that has at least 10 different strains, the more, the better. If you are using a good probiotic, I would rotate in Kefir, not use them at the same time.

Coconut oil is not a probiotic, but it does have antifungal properties, so yes, start using it, 1 teaspoon per 20# of body weight. You can also rub the coconut oil into those infected areas.

Try adding ACV to water that is mixed into his food, 1/2 teaspoon per cup of food.

#41046 Report Abuse
    Kim L

Thank you…this was really helpful. I am currently only using Probiotic Miracle from Nusentia, and it only seems to have 6 strains in it:

“Made in the USA
    Recommended by veterinarians
    2 Billion CFU per serving
    6 canine-researched bacteria strains and species
    No Animal Products
    No Fillers / Flavors
    Non GMO
    Gluten Free
    Wheat Free
    Dairy Free”

Apparently by adding the Enzyme Miracle product, it has really good yeast fighting ability though. I will start using these two together and add in Kefir occasionally and try your ACV and coconut oil ideas. Thank you so much!

#41835 Report Abuse
    Ron M

This article has some age on it but found it interesting as I was not aware of the possible
    effects of probiotics.
    Maybe this is old science by now but I also read a different article stating close to the same.
    Full article:
    http://www.911vets.com/mobile-emergency-vet-los-angeles-newsfeed/dont-feed-foods-containing-enterococcus/

Snip from article.
    “Over the past several years, and most recently with increasing frequency, I have found urinary tract infections in cats and dogs with a particular strain of Enterococcus bacteria. Independently, I have come to scrutinize the ingredients of a myriad of boutique pet foods and have found a connection. Pets with Enterococcal urinary tract infection are eating these boutique foods that contain the bacteria”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.