🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jude B
    Participant

My miniature poodle, 17 years, is overweight with a lung condition. The vet suggested I feed her a vet recommended food, ProPlan, Royal Canin or Hills. I had been feeding The Farmers Dog. Changed to Pro Plan Bright Mind but she seems to still be hungry. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good senior food with few calories? I appreciate so much your help. I want my Isabella to live forever! ❤️🐾🐾. (she weighs 15 lbs, needs to lose a few I’m told)

#157884 Report Abuse
    Bryan B
    Participant

I’m not familiar with poodles and good food for older dogs, but I hope you can get some good advice here from some of the other members!

#157886 Report Abuse
    Jude B
    Participant

Thank you, Bryan. Nothing yet. Still hopeful.

#157888 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Jude when it comes to kibble you need low carbs and higher protein. Hard to find a kibble low in carbs since it needs a starchy binder to hold it together. So maybe do away with kibble altogether.. I have a Chihuahua who tends to get chubby . My other Chihuahua is the same size and is fed same amount and stays slim. Yet, the chubby one is much more active. I think the secret is cutting food down. I never go by what they say on bag. I feed kibble as a VERY VERY small portion of food. Kibble is what tends to put the weight on my chubby one and now that weather is hot here and they get less walks I cut down to just a few along with their freeze dried food. I used string beans and one freeze dried as a treat. I stick to 5* proteins and brands as per DFA reviews. They also get home cooked LEAN boiled white meat chicken, fish(salmon) in tiny amounts, lean steak when we have. Bits of watermelon etc. But secret is cut down on food smaller portions gradually. Then when weather permits a walk as much as a 17 can do comfortably.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Patricia A.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.