Older dog needs small kibble…suggestions?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Older dog needs small kibble…suggestions?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Teagsmom

My chi/mix just had a bunch of teeth extracted. She’s been eating Acana but I need to find a comparable food with small kibble bites. Fromm has tiny kibble and Natures Variety Instinct makes a chicken for small dogs. I prefer not to feed chicken. Any recommendations?

#103130 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Add warm water to soften the kibble or presoak kibble overnight in the fridge.
    Also, maybe mix with soft food.

#103155 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi teagsmom,
    why not feed wet tin food or cooked soft meals, even if its just 1 meal wet food then the other meal a kibble….. kibble is very hard to chew, the only kibble I know is small & very easy to digest & goes soft all the way thru when water is added is the “Canidae” Pure Meadow Senior but it’s Chicken, Chicken Meal Turkey Meal, Sweet potatoes…here’s Canidae’s site look at all their formula’s, there’s also their Pure Wild Boar, Pure Land, Pure Sea, Pure Sky all have no chicken, all Canidaes kibbles are very small & very easy to digest… https.www.canidae.com/dog-food/products
    if you do feed a wet tin food, read the fat % & stay under 5%-fat, wet & raw pet foods aren’t converted to dry matter fat & protein, so 5%min fat is around 20%-25% max – fat if it were a kibble…

#103163 Report Abuse
    Teagsmom

Thanks Susan- I will check it out. I may try the Instinct along w Canidae. Is the Canidae as small as Fromm? Im not a fan of wet food. I’m trying to make this process as simple as possible. I have soaked her food before but the Acana was still too big. She wasn’t digesting it. I’m definitely sticking to a topper. Just need to find a good small kibble.

#103172 Report Abuse
    Jude N

Merrick has tiny kibbles, and a large variety of protein sources to choose from, some of which are labeled as “poultry free”. You could try a dehydrated food like Grandma Lucy’s (makes doggy gruel), or even a Stella & Chewy blend. Their food is dehydrated, so even though the pieces are a little big, you can crumble them easily and your dog can chew them very easily, too. Wellness has tiny kibbles, too, I believe.

#103178 Report Abuse
    a c

I like to feed can dog food but I am concerned about the BPA. BPA still exist in human can food. I don’t know if the manufacturers are making can dog food BPA free?

I noticed the interior lining of Hill Science Diet I/D is white. Most of the can goods are steel color. Does it mean Science Diet can food is BPA free?

#103182 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Teagsmon,
    if you go to a pet shop then you can feel the kibble size through the kibble bag, that’s what I do, the Canidae kibbles are as small as your small pinky finger nail. here’s the Canidae link again, my fist post link isn’t working, I left out a few letters…
    Canidae shows a picture of their kibble size, just click on one of the Pure formula’s, Pure Wild or Pure Meadow Senior on page 3, then scroll down & you’ll see Daily Feeding Guide, Ingredients, Guaranteed Analysis, Kibble Size….. https://www.canidae.com/dog-food/products

#103183 Report Abuse
    suztzu
    Participant

wellness core small breed is very small grain free

#103296 Report Abuse
    Teagsmom

I tried a few different kibble and the winner is Natures Variety Instinct Raw Boost for small breed. The kibble is the size of Fromm (tiny). She absolutely LOVES IT. I used it as a treat (testing to see if she would insist on something better) and she gobbled it up. So I’m using the Instinct raw boost (it has pieces of freeze dried in it) with a Primal topper. I toss in a few pieces of Acana to make sure she doesn’t get sick from transitioning but she’s absolutely fine. Stools are perfect and she gets so excited for her meals. Fingers crossed this lasts!! 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.