Keifer/Yogurt

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Keifer/Yogurt

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Leslie L

I have 2 Labs who I would like to give Keifer to. In my grocery store I can get Lifeway plain or Wallaby plain. From a bit of research I know they are milk based but the fermenting process removes 99% of the milk product. I have also read about goats milk keifer but do not know a brand or where to buy. If I gave Greek yogurt, is that as good as the Keifer? I give them Primal raw goats milk now a few times per week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#98727 Report Abuse
    CockalierMom

I give my allergy girl a tablespoon of Lifeway plain low fat kefir every morning before she eats and it really helps her, more than any other type probiotic I have tried (plus I drink it myself). In my experience, kefir is better than yogurt and she prefers it over yogurt. As far as goat milk kefir, I am not aware of any brands widely distributed.

#98733 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

I’m not sure about yogurt or kefir brands, but if you’ve access to raw goats milk you could make your own yogurt from this. We do it every few weeks, it’s pretty easy 🙂

#98737 Report Abuse
    Leslie L

Thank you Acroyali, do you have a recipe?

#98752 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

There are tons of different ways to do it and every recipe is a bit different, but I pour the milk into a large pot or dutch oven over medium-low heat. While it’s heating, uncovered, I turn my oven light on (not the actual oven, just the light) to start warming it up. I heat the milk to 180F (using a meat thermometer), remove from heat and let it cool to 115. I then pour the milk into quart or pint jars, add a tablespoon or two of starter (I use leftover yogurt in place of a starter now) and cover. I leave the jars in the oven (under the light) for 12-24 hours, if I leave it go for closer to 24 hours it gets much thicker.

Keep a close eye on the thermometer as it’s warming, if it goes too warm it won’t necessarily ruin the yogurt but I’ve found 180 is the sweet spot 🙂 The only bad thing is that your oven is pretty much off limits until the yogurt is done, so plan meals accordingly. Hope this helps!

#103165 Report Abuse
    Teagsmom

They make a plain goat yogurt you can buy in the store. I’ve seen it at Whole Foods.

#103177 Report Abuse
    a c

I believed Lifeway kefir has 12-15g of sugar. Isn’t that a lot of sugar? I haven’t find any low sugar kefir.

#103339 Report Abuse
    Jeremy H

I purchased milf kefir grains from Amazon a couple of months ago. Just put them in about 2 cups of whole milk, leave out at room temperature for 24-36 hours, strain grains from kefir and repeat process. Easy peasy. No added sugars. My 3 dogs get some with each meal and have never turned their noses up. I have tried some too… Yuck! I get why the store bought has the added sugars.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.