šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mon C

Hi all,

We have just taken in a lovely 6 year old rescue and she is currently still on a dry kibble diet. We’d very much like to feed her healthier meals and very interested in the HK base mix, in which we only need to add the protein portion. She weighs 20kgs.

The type of protein we could easily get are either frozen pork loins, OR on sale specials of various beef cuts (like sirloin). We’d prefer to cook it by steaming or boiling, but we are unsure whether we should chop it up into smaller pieces or actually grind it first before cooking? Or will she be totally fine if we served the protein as one big piece?

Any feedback would be much appreciated as we are 1st time owners!

#100883 Report Abuse
    anonymous

When I prepare toppers to add to kibble, I defrost, chop it up (I use utility scissors, seems easier) then I stir fry in water and cook. I then mix it in the kibble with a healthy splash of water. Maybe make a 2 day supply and store in a airtight container in the fridg.
    I use chicken breast, steak, egg, ground turkey. I occasionally use tuna right from the can (canned tuna is cooked already).
    I don’t use pork. I don’t use HK. I just use a quality kibble.
    I don’t serve large chucks, possible choking hazard, or they will wolf it down and ignore the kibble. I do give about 1/2 raw carrot as a snack here and there (no baby carrots).
    But, make sure your dog isn’t a gulper. Good luck
    Ps: If you are interested in science based veterinary medicine this is a good site to visit http://skeptvet.com/Blog/
    Nothing is being sold there, no supplements, no books, no membership fees.

#100884 Report Abuse
    Rachel K

Unless your dog won’t eat its other food, cooking large chunks will be fine.
    Personally when cooking for a dog, I like to shred up the meat afterwards so I can mix it into other things more effectively if I want to (such as with egg or the base food itself)

If cooking meat opt for leaner meats (too much cooked fats can increase the risk of pancreatitis) and poach/steam.

#100895 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi Mon C,

I’m like Rachel.. I shred the meat post cooking to mix in better and as anon said I don’t serve as chunks as mine are gulpers I worry about choking. When using Honest Kitchen bases mixes keep in mind that according to the nutritional information the company posts the mixes plus protein don’t make a complete and balanced diet. The only premix I’ve found to make complete and balanced meals are the ones from balanceit dot com.

When I fed Preference to my dog the food components came out looking exactly as they went in. I think this is because the dehydrated components of some sources are not digestible. If I cooked the food after rehydrating them the food appeared digested.

#100896 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I forgot to mention that if you feed raw carrots, you will see carrot chunks in the feces, but it is nothing to worry about.

#100901 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Mon C
    here’s Dr Judy Morgan DVM video where she use’s the Honest Kitchen Preference base mix to make “Pup Loaf” its easy & you can cut the loaf & freeze all the meals as well, Dr Judy Morgan has a few easy videos on YouTube how to make her healthy balanced meals, her chef minces & grinds some of the meats that’s added to make meals, for some of her sick dogs, she has about 8 dogs, this is what my vet has told me to do with Patch after I bought his lean pork mince packet from a different place & the fat was higher then stated on packet of lean pork mince ….Patch had a Pancreas attack in March, vet said to buy your meat like pork loins lean beef steaks etc & trim off any fat & then grind & mince the steaks into mince meat, this way I’ll know the fat % & what I’m feeding Patch…

Your on the right track, your home cooked meals will be heathier then any kibble…. Patches Nutritionist/Naturopath said to me when Patch was being put on a raw diet for his IBD if I seen & smelt the kibble & the pet pre made raw mince being made, it would make me sick/vomit, she said the smell is awful, you’ll never feed kibble to your dog again….no matter how dear the kibble is, it’s still over processed dry kibble….

I’m always getting asked what does Patch eat his coat is soooo shinny, it looks like he’s wearing silk jacket a man told me today at the park…. My secret & what most Australian do, we add either tin sardines, a few sardines to 1 of the dogs meal or tin salmon in spring water to the dogs diet….just drain the spring water…. I make tin pink Salmon Potato Cakes, Patch & the cat love them, you add 1 x whisked egg & the crushed egg shell, boiled potatoes, chopped parsley & chopped kale….

Here’s Dr Judy Morgan Pup Loaf video-

Here’s Dr Judy Morgan’s “Naturally Healthy Pets” site & “How To Make Pup Loaf” ingredient list without adding the Honest kitchen Base Mix & balancing the meal naturally yourself, it will probably be heathier & cheaper then buying the Honest Kitchen dehydrated Base mix..
    http://www.drjudymorgan.com/how-to-make-homemade-puploaf/

I’ve read a few people’s post on here DFA & Face Book & they say cause THK veggies are dehydrated they don’t swell up properly or form & some dogs poo the veggies straight out, some dogs do very sloppy poos when eating THK mixes maybe that’s the THK meals where you just add the water???

#100902 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi
    here’s Dr Judy Morgan DVM video where she use’s the Honest Kitchen Preference base mix to make “Pup Loaf” its easy & you can cut the loaf & freeze all the meals as well, Dr Judy Morgan has a few easy videos on YouTube how to make her healthy balanced meals, her chef minces & grinds some of the meats that’s added to make meals, for some of her sick dogs, she has about 8 dogs, this is what my vet has told me to do with Patch after I bought his lean pork mince packet from a different place & the fat was higher then stated on packet of lean pork mince ….Patch had a Pancreas attack in March, vet said to buy your meat like pork loins lean beef steaks etc & trim off any fat & then grind & mince the steaks into mince meat, this way I’ll know the fat % & what I’m feeding Patch…

Your on the right track, your home cooked meals will be heathier then any kibble…. Patches Nutritionist/Naturopath said to me when Patch was being put on a raw diet for his IBD if I seen & smelt the kibble & the pet pre made raw mince being made, it would make me sick/vomit, she said the smell is awful, you’ll never feed kibble to your dog again….no matter how dear the kibble is, it’s still over processed dry kibble….

I’m always getting asked what does Patch eat his coat is soooo shinny, it looks like he’s wearing silk jacket a man told me today at the park…. My secret & what most Australian do, we add either tin sardines, a few sardines to 1 of the dogs meal or tin salmon in spring water to the dogs diet….just drain the spring water…. I make tin pink Salmon Potato Cakes, Patch & the cat love them, you add 1 x whisked egg & the crushed egg shell, boiled potatoes, chopped parsley & chopped kale….

Here’s Dr Judy Morgan Pup Loaf video-

Here’s Dr Judy Morgan’s “Naturally Healthy Pets” site & “How To Make Pup Loaf” ingredient list without adding the Honest kitchen Base Mix & balancing the meal naturally yourself, it will probably be heathier & cheaper then buying the Honest Kitchen dehydrated Base mix..
    http://www.drjudymorgan.com/how-to-make-homemade-puploaf/

I’ve read a few people’s post on here DFA & Face Book & they say cause THK veggies are dehydrated they don’t swell up properly or form & some dogs poo the veggies straight out, some dogs do very sloppy poos when eating THK mixes maybe that’s the THK meals where you just add the water???

#100903 Report Abuse
    Mon C

Thanks everyone for helping out with really useful info. Ive put in an order for the HK base mix and waiting for delivery. Looking forward to share how things will go, I am still studying what nutrients are missing from the mix, and I might end up also getting additional supplements like the Missing link maybe.

Cooking by steaming or boiling lean cuts of meats is the best option we could afford right now (time and budget wise), then Ill probably shred it post cooking and put in the base mix. The puppy load shared by Susan looks really good, I will also give a go. Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.