šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jason P

I need to switch my Rot/mix pup (4 months old) from his food due to constant itching. I am really debating whether I need a large breed puppy food or if I can just go to adult food that I will want him to be on. Here is what I have it narrowed down to:

Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/diamond-naturals-large-breed-puppy-dog-food-40-lb-bag
    or

4Health Salmon and Potato: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4health-salmon-potato-formula-adult-dog-food-35-lb-bag

Any words of advice between the two? Is the 4Health good enough for a growing large breed puppy?

#110669 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

If you think heā€™s going to be over 55-60 lbs as an adult then he needs to stay on a large breed puppy food for at least a year and a half. Also avoid neutering him until then as well if he isnā€™t already neutered. I also recommend Fromm large breed puppy or wellness core puppy. Both are formulated correctly for large breed growth. However. Iā€™ve heard the 4health is good for sensitive stomachs. I would try a large breed puppy food first (make sure it has the proper calcium to phos ratios though not all large breed puppy foods do) then if for whatever reason heā€™s showing to have a sensitive stomach I would then try the 4health. Also have you been to the vet for the scratching? I would do that first just to rule out any health issues and make sure itā€™s not environmental allergies.

#110670 Report Abuse
    Jason P

Thanks haleycookie,

My Tripp is 4 months and is about 35 lbs. He is going to be a big boy! He was a rescue, so he has already been neutered. The scratching started not long after we changed his food to a higher quality brand (Victor), so I was assuming that is what triggered it. I will check on the Large breed puppy options in my area.

#110677 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Jason-

He does in fact need to stay on large breed puppy formula especially because he was neutered too early. This is critical for correct growth. Of the two options you have offered, Diamond Large Breed Puppy is the only option that would be appropriate for him.

Also, before jumping to the conclusion that he is having an adverse food reaction, you need to see the vet to eliminate all other causes such as fleas, mites, environmental and seasonal triggers. Adverse food reactions are not as common as people on the internet would have you believe, especially not in a 4 month old puppy.

#110687 Report Abuse
    Jason P

Thank you for the replies!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.