šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BRT

Hi all,

I have two small dogs. An 8 1/2 year old male maltese/poodle and a 2 1/2 year old male yorkie/shih tzu.

My maltese mix has anal gland issues, so I take him to the vet each month to get them expressed. I always know when it’s time because he scoots and licks his behind.

Now, onto my other little guy. He’s my rescue boy and I don’t regularly get his anals expressed. I learned hard lessons from my older boy about that. Anyway, yesterday evening I came home from work and he was not moving at all. I was terrified. He was lethargic, panting, and couldn’t jump on the sofa, etc. But, he ate his dinner, peed, and pooped, but didn’t want to play or anything. He’s very active and agile. I rushed him to the vet and they examined him thoroughly and said he was fine. She she also did a rectal exam and expressed his anals. They were full, but easily expressed. Lo and behold as soon as she did that he perked up. Was jumping around and playing like his normal self. This is the second time this happened. The last time was around Christmas 2013. He doesn’t scoot or anything so I didn’t realize he was uncomfortable.

I had him sleep in his crate last night and this morning he was a bouncy little guy and back to his happy little self.

Has anyone had a dog who is this sensitive? I want to avoid this type of emergency vet visit and getting myself all worked up.

I know every dog is different, but this is a reaction I have never heard or read about.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• This topic was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by BRT.
    #49367 Report Abuse

what are you feeding your dogs? While some dogs do have gland issues, its not common place to have two in the same household with the same issue…

#49386 Report Abuse
    BRT

Right now they are on Zignature Trout and Salmon.

#49387 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi BRT, I never knew about expressing dogs anal glands until I rescued Patch 20 months ago, when I first got him he was always scooting along the carpet, at first I thought worms so I wormed him again, then vet said anal glands need expressing, Patch would have his anal glands expressed every 2 months by the vet, then in March I started to give Patch Boiled Chicken breast with boiled pumkin for breakfast cause of his Pancreatitis, I give Tuna in spring water drained & pumkin now, but since starting him on the boiled pumkin back in March he stopped scooting along the carpet & I havent needed to take him to the vet to express his anal glands..you could always try some pumkin & see if it works..also 1 month ago I started feeding Patch “Wellness Simple” Duck & Oatmeal kibble & Patches poos are more firmer then when he eats his Vet prescription Eukanuba Intestinal..so maybe you’ll need to change their diet…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.