šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nancy M

I recently aquired an unwanted 10 month old mini Aussie. She’s been on Diamond Naturals puppy food since about 10 weeks of age. No major issues with it, except I DONT like feeding anything made by Diamond. Anyway, I also have decided to get a new Sheltie Puppy in a couple weeks, who is on Victor’s Hi-Pro Plus formula (for active dogs and puppies). Since I was getting ready to switch the Aussie to something else anyway, I started to VERY SLOWLY start switching the Aussie over to this food as well.

My question is this…….since she’s been eating this food, still mixed with the old Diamond, she’s also been eating grass more than she did before, which was only occasionally. But now, she’s also eating the grass, then vomiting it up, along with a whitish, somewhat clear and frothy looking liquid. This is not an everyday occurrence, but I’m not quite sure what’s causing it. Maybe it’s the new food, maybe not. I know there’s other reasons dogs will do this, so I’d just like some insight or suggestions to consider. Her appetite is good, stools are fine and she acts normal. I’m just a bit leery of switching her over 100% now.

Thanks!

#56562 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I would try going back to the old food and see if the grass eating decreases. It may be that there is some ingredient in the foods that she is reacting to and the new food has more of it. You may need to find a food that has a different protein and carb source. Another reason that some dogs eat grass is because they crave something in greens, so a super green supplement cure the issue, but I don’t think that’s what is going on here.

#56575 Report Abuse

When i tried to switch Molly to Orijen she did the same exact thing. She was eating a whole lot of grass, more than usual, and throwing up white looking liquid too. She did the same thing with Acana. As soon as i took her off both of those foods it all stopped. I had to take those two out of the rotation.

#56585 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I have one that is a grazer. He looks for particular grasses to eat, but if he get a super grren he doesn’t graze. He doesn’t eat grass to vomit though.

Then there’s Micah. He has a few different food sensitivities and some of them make him eat grass due to upset stomach. That’s the only time he eats grass, so I know if I see him eating grass, he needs a food change.

#56594 Report Abuse
    Nancy M

Thank you all for your comments! I appreciate them. I think I’m going to try keeping her on this food a bit longer and see how it goes. Haven’t noticed the grass eating all day yesterday and so in a few days, once I get her totally switched over, I’ll see how she does. I’ll try to give her another week or two. Otherwise, it will take the new puppy forever to eat up 20 lbs. of this stuff. I had some reservations about the Victor, because it seems to me that there might be too many different proteins to get used to……..even for the puppy. I think my next choice is going to be the Nutrisource. I don’t mind rotating different formulas, but I think it’s better to start off with formulas that have a limited amount, at least until they get use to them, one at a time.

THANKS AGAIN!

#56596 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It’s certainly easier to know what a reactive dog is reacting to with a single meat and a single carb source.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.