🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Katherine O

Hi,
    I lost my corgi of 5 years this summer to cancer and was ready for another dog this month and adopted a 7 year old (they think) corgi mix. He had some teeth issues that resulted in all of his upper back molars being pulled. I am currently feeding him the food the rescue fed him (Nature’s Recipe) softened, but he doesn’t seem very excited about it. He also gets ~2tbps of canned food (pedigree, which I plan on changing) at dinner.

I fed my corgi ~3/4 – 1 cup of Wellness core/day + dental stick and he maintained ~33/34 pounds (he was larger than breed standard). My current dog (26/27 pounds) was being fed 1 cup/day + 2 tbsp wet food + 1 milkbone (which I haven’t been feeding him). I am looking for suggestions on dry food that does well when softened and how much to feed with the minor addition of the wet food.

According to the calculator, my corgi should have been fed 2 cups/day. My parents dogs are fat because they feed them too much and I don’t want that to happen to my new dog.

Right now it is hard to tell if my new dog is not interested in the food due to dislike of how it tastes when it is softened or if his teeth are hurting (vet had me stop painkillers due to adverse reaction). He always gobbles up the wet food, but I have no idea how much wet food to feed and if that amount would be cost prohibitive.

#79856 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I lost a corgi to cancer too, at 9 years. I’m thinking that there may be a genetic link, like with German shepherds and golden retrievers.
    Anyway, I used to feed her about 1/2 cup of Nutrisca Salmon and Chickpea dry, but I would add a lump of chopped up chicken breast (cooked) or lean meat. Chopped up broiled chicken liver is good too. I fed her this twice a day.
    You can add water to the cooked chicken and blend it with a smoothie wand, so that it is like lumpy thick gravy and put a tablespoon over her dry. You can soak the dry in the fridg overnight in water to soften.
    She loved food and had a tendency to put weight on easily, but 3 to 5 mile walks daily seemed to keep her weight stable.
    Brush her teeth every evening (YouTube has excellent how to videos).

PS: I get the chicken breast, lean meat at the reduced section of my local market, freeze then cook. I have been doing this for a long time and haven’t had any problems. Chicken livers are cheap, and you only add a little. Plus you can divide up and freeze.
    If you weigh the dog once a week you will be able to see if she is gaining and decrease the amount. Get on the scale weigh yourself, then get back on the scale while you are holding her, then deduct your weight from the number you get 🙂 Do this before the first meal of the day.

#79857 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I meant he/him :$

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.