Do small dogs need 3 meals a day

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Do small dogs need 3 meals a day

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Alice B

I was thinking my small Yorkshire terriers may need 3 or even 4 meals a day as adults
    because of low blood sugar, I have heard this can happen with small dogs.
    I have two little Yorky pups , Bill & Ben 3 months old.

#120070 Report Abuse
    anonymous

It depends on the dog. Discuss with your vet the next time you take them in for routine care. Most healthy adult dogs (small or large) do well with 2 feedings per day and fresh water available at all times. Maybe a snack (just a bite) or two.

#120091 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

For puppies, especially toy breed puppies, yes 3-4 meals per day. ALWAYS. You can absolutely continue this practice as adults.

#120168 Report Abuse
    Alice B

Do you agree with free feeding from a bowl of kibble, left down all day
    I am home all day so i can have any routine that would help my 2 little boys

I have also heard dogs can vomit bile if their tummy is empty, how horrible for those dogs

Then some people say FAST your dog one day a week, I don’t know how that would be good
    I would like advice on how people with small dogs plan a meal routine, & space meals apart
    Thanks for all advice

#120172 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

I dislike free feeding personally, unless you’re out of the home 8-10 hours a day.
    If you have two babes, this can make it hard to see if one is not eating as well as they should.
    If you’re away for hours, I’d say free feed but keep the puppies separate but close by one another so you can see whom is eating what, and how much, and if one goes off their food, you’ll catch it immediately vs. days later when it might be approaching the “too late” category.
    I have no problems feeding small dogs, kittens, young cats, young dogs 3-4 meals a day.
    Do not fast a puppy. Especially a toy breed.

Fasting is a GOOD thing for grown, healthy dogs in their physical prime, but only if they’re ADULTS and in good shape (physically).
    NEVER fast puppies or seniors, and never fast cats longer than 12-14 hours.
    We fast ours twice monthly, but only health adults and never babies or seniors. This equals extending every other Sunday’s breakfast from 6:00AM to 9-10AM, and serving dinner a bit early if we can manage.
    Again, seniors and babies (large breeds. 9-12 months and toy breeds under 12 months) are exempt from this. Our large adult working dogs do seem to benefit from a fast, but the “fast” includes a lot of water, bone broth and goats milk and recreational bones.

There’s nothing scientific about our method but when it come to feeding schedules and fasting, we err cautiously.
    For your adorable Yorkies…..forget fasting for now, feed your puppies like the growing machines they are and enjoy them! If you never fast them, odds are they’ll thrive and be happy. Yorkies are super long lived.
    Do the best you can, and enjoy them.

#120173 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

@Alice,
    Whenever we have the rare opportunity to have small breeds here (which we love), we feed 3-4 small meals per day.
    4 meals for those under 16 weeks.
    3 meals for those under 6 months.
    If the puppy thrives, we go with it and when they begin to “pick” at a noon meal or pick at their mid-afternoon tea, or begin to get pudgy, we nix that mid day meal.
    Some pups won’t stop eating no matter what. If your notice one or both of your pups are eating like champs and are losing their waist-line, don’t take it personally. Replace the mid day feed with a cookie. Or a chew, or something.
    fIf you phase it out in their aduld hood…great. They should be fine.
    If you’re like us and find that noon snack is insanely demanded by these extra small companions…. and you’re well trained, well… =) Welcome to our world!

For a handful of fosters (and those we refused to let go of, and adopted!), we’ve found a normal dinner at 5-6-7-8PM (or whenever you feed) with a small bedtime snack helps the 2:00AM bile stuff.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Acroyali.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Acroyali.
    #120189 Report Abuse
    Alice B

@Acroyali Thanks for the great information
    I needed company after my lovely husband passed away last year,
    So I now have great company in my little Yorkies, lots of fun for me & keeps me busy

Both puppies love eating, I will keep portions small, I want to keep both guys healthy
    I’m feeding the boys Wellness core puppy food, 4 small meals a day

#120190 Report Abuse
    Alice B

These 2 Yorkies are the first dogs I have owned in my life, that’s why I need any advice

#120192 Report Abuse
    anonymous

@ Alice B

You may appreciate this site http://www.yorkietalk.com/
    These folks are familiar with the breed.

PS: Please don’t free feed. Yorkies can become obese just like any other breed.

#120472 Report Abuse
    Alice B

I love the Yorkie Talk page thankyou anon101 for that link, it’s really interesting

#120476 Report Abuse
    anonymous

You’re welcome!

#120483 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

@Alice B I’m sorry for the passing of your husband. I’m sure he’s very happy and proud of you to know you are taking care of these little dogs and doing right by them and researching for their well being.

#120516 Report Abuse
    Alice B

Thank you, dear, your very kind xx Both of my sweet little boys are very healthy & love my meal plan at this time I will keep them on Wellness core puppy until they are 1 year old, lots of fun playing now.

#165301 Report Abuse
    Stephanie P
    Participant

I’m glad I found this thread because my boyfriend and I’ve just got a Yorkshire puppy and I’m not sure how to feed him. I mean I used to have a big dog (a german shepherd) and I believe there is a big difference in the nutrition they need. So thanks a lot!

#165302 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Stephanie Yorkie puppies are very prone to hypoglycemia episodes. Please feed small meals several times a day. https://www.yorkiepassion.com/what-is-yorkie-hypoglycemia/

#165467 Report Abuse
    Stephanie P
    Participant

Thanks again! That’s really useful! I’m also worried about liver diseases. Yorkshire Terriers are an ornamental dog breed. That means that they can have a huge number of different diseases. And I’m a bit scared because my german shepherd dog passed away from kidney failure. And I realize that it’s gonna be ten times harder to keep a Yorkshire Terrier because they are even more vulnerable. I’ve read on this forum https://www.happyhealthydogblog.com/ that in order to prevent dog liver diseases I should avoid foods that contain copper. Is that true?

#165493 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Stephanie no expert but I believe the avoidance of copper is only for dogs with liver shunts. More common in Yorkies. This is some of the symptoms you can be on the look out for and let your vet know of your concerns. This way he/she can alleviate your fears. So sorry to hear of your Shepherd’s passing. You’re being proactive in your Yorkies health. So just relax and enjoy your new puppy. . http://www.yorkiesunited.com/liver-shunts-portosystemic.html

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Patricia A.
    #167779 Report Abuse
    Diane C

I am soon to welcome home a baby Westie, 3 mos. old. It has been decades since taking care of a puppy. Any advice on puppy feeding? What protein ratio? Dry food vs. wet? Grain-free vs. grain? How many feedings per day? Any recommended sources of puppy information? Thank you! I am so excited!!

#168764 Report Abuse
    Lissy S
    Participant

Puppies need at least three meals a day, because they have a fast metabolism and can drop blood sugar. Do not neglect the quality of the food, it is better to use premium and super premium class food if you want your dog to live long and healthy. If at some point you don’t have money for expensive food, do not rush to buy a cheap one, you can find a small loan at https://cashloansnearby.com/texas/lewisville/. It will be a better solution than worsening your pet’s quality of life.

#184037 Report Abuse
    Chris R
    Participant

Thank you for the information.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Chris R.
    #184068 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

I started my 11 year old Boston Jack on 3 meals a day when he came down in March with, as of right now, an unknown reason for severe diarrhea and the vet convinced me to switch him to Royal Canin, which I did not want to do. I still believe there was something in his senior/small dog Wellness food that may have caused the problem. Whatever, the vet believed the RC Hydrovised (?) food would cure him and even control his weight. It cured him, I guess if there was a problem, but did not control his weight. The bag shows 17% fat but she says when you subtract the water 10% that brings it down to 8%??? I never have heard of that math! Anyway, Jack is now used to eating 3 meals of 1/4 cup per day, but because of weight gain I’m going back to 2 meals a day. Calorie content with RC is low, but I can’t accept percent of fat amount vet says. However, getting back on Subject: I see no reason not to feed 3 times a day unless it leads to weight gain like Jacks. I will give him maybe 1/3 cup food twice a day and see if that helps weight. I would rather find a good no chicken to change him to but very hard to do so. Oh yes, during all this expensive vet testing stuff she has discovered he’s allergic to chicken. At 11 years of age I doubt there’s any time at all when he was not eating chicken! What causes that???

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.