šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Reese B

I recently read an article stating that dicalcium phosphate is an ingredient to avoid when buying dog food because it can not absorb water and may cause kidney stones. I was really worried because it’s in a few of the foods in my dogs rotation (Nutrience grain free and Valens pasture). I’ve noticed it’s not listed as a red controversial ingredient on the review of foods on this site. Does anyone have any thoughts or more information on this ingredient?

Also, does anyone know what tricalcium phosphate is or how it compares to dicalcium phosphate? I’ve noticed that ingredient is in a few of my dogs foods but could find a lot of solid info on that one.

5 Harmful Ingredients That Might be Hiding in Your Pet’s Food

#113978 Report Abuse

My puppy and my senior dog eat a food with dicalcium phosphate. I’m studying towards a degree in animal nutrition (stopped trusting my vet … but that’s another story, hah), and what I’ve found is that dicalcium phosphate is safe.

Calcium and phosphate helps growing puppies (and older dogs with weakening bones develop stronger bones. It’s like calcium for humans. Phosphorus (in dicalcium phosphate) helps form bones and teeth, and it works with protein synthesis for tissue repair. Aka it’s great for pups with injuries.

Through that I know that dicalcium phosphate is safe. I have no experience about tricalcium phosphate though. I’ll ask at my next vet/animal nutrition course. That’s a good question. With my basic chemistry knowledge, it seems like it’s just a different isomer/combination for dicalcium phosphate but I’m really not sure.

#114615 Report Abuse
    Reese B

Thanks! With so many varying opinions on dog food ingredients, its hard to figure out what’s true. Please keep me updated if you find any info on tricalcium phosphate.

#129468 Report Abuse
    Corinne J

Steve’s Real Raw dog food uses dicalcium phosphate in their beef formula. I reached out to ask them why they use it, since beef is high in phosphate, and ground bones should provide enough calcium. Two emails and a phone call was ignored. I stopped feeding my dog their raw food because they apparently don’t care about their clients, and they are certainly NOT transparent about their dog food ingredients. I will also add that the product was very inconsistent from batch to batch.
    Oh, and Steve no longer owns the company. Perhaps this is when it all went south.

#146425 Report Abuse
    Ja M

I personally stay away from any dog food containing dicalcium phosphate because research has shown it causes kidney stones.

#185628 Report Abuse
    Mutts and Cats
    Participant

I realize that this is an old post, but thought I would see if anyone is still watching. Iā€™m currently going through the same dilemma regarding dicalcium phosphate and tricalcium phosphate. I had decided that I was going to avoid all forms of calcium and sodium phosphate for a while for my dog that is having health issues. But it sure is limiting to do that, so Iā€™m now weakening on that decision. Any more thoughts out there on whether these are potentially harmful, and whether the sodium versions are worse than the calcium versions? Many sources say that Sodium tripolyphosphate (STPP) is bad news in dog food and some mention Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate (TSPP). Just the names sound worse, but I wonder if they actually are any worse than DCP and TCP.

I see that one of the replies mentions Steveā€™s raw frozen. Ironically, contemplating trying this food is what got me thinking about DCP again. It seems that they previously included it in their foods but possibly have stopped. The local stores who carry it show dicalcium phosphate as the last ingredient. But on the Steveā€™s website it is not a listed ingredient. I sent Steveā€™s an email asking about it but have not received a reply.
    I must say that the post from Corinne J about Steveā€™s did get my attention. I had thought that they were pretty reputable, but I am now wondering . . .

#185810 Report Abuse
    Ana W
    Participant

Dicalcium phosphate is a source of calcium and phosphorus that is commonly used as a dietary supplement in dog food. It is considered safe for dogs to consume in appropriate amounts, and it is not listed as a controversial ingredient by most reputable sources. However, as with any ingredient, over consumption or in certain conditions like renal insufficiency, could cause problems and should be carefully monitored.

It is true that dicalcium phosphate can be difficult for some dogs to absorb, and if consumed in large amounts, it could potentially lead to the formation of kidney stones. However, it is important to note that this is not a common occurrence and it would typically only happen if a dog is consuming excessive amounts of the ingredient.

Tricalcium phosphate is another source of calcium and phosphorus that is also commonly used in dog food. It is considered safe for dogs to consume in appropriate amounts, and it is not listed as a controversial ingredient by most reputable sources. It is also a more easily absorbed form of calcium than dicalcium phosphate.

It’s always a good idea to read the ingredient list of your dog’s food carefully and to be mindful of the amounts of certain ingredients, such as calcium and phosphorus, that your dog is consuming.
    It’s also a good idea to check with your veterinarian if you have any concerns about your dog’s diet or if your dog has any underlying health conditions that could be affected by its diet.

In general, it’s important to provide a balanced diet to your dog, avoiding excessive amounts of any ingredient and providing a balanced ratio of macronutrients, minerals and vitamins.

#185811 Report Abuse
    Mutts and Cats
    Participant

Ana W – thank you for your reply. This continues to be an issue that I’m unsure about, but for now I’m avoiding foods that use any artificial phosphates. I read several articles that said artificial phosphates are absorbed MUCH more readily by dogs (and cats) than phosphorous from foods and therefore the dog can end up with a calcium:phosphorous imbalance. Plus, as you mentioned, problems for dogs with kidney issues.
    Incidentally, after my original post I did find out from Steve’s Real Food that they have changed the recipes for all of their dog and cat foods and no longer use Dicalcium Phosphate.
    Thanks again for weighing in.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.