🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Cotons mom

Anyone have experience with using this for flea control. Any down side to using it? Where can I get it if I do decide to use it?

Thanks

#57242 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The issue with DE is that if the dog inhales it, it can act like glass dust in the lungs. You really have to think about that while you are applying it.

#57252 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You can purchase it online or at the feedstore and garden stores. Be sure to get Food Grade.

#57353 Report Abuse
    Marietta B

I have been using it for over two years and have never seen a flea. I put it directly on my dog and I do it outside because it’s very dusty. I used to buy the food grade from a feed supply store, but now I just buy Only Natural Pet All In One Flea Remedy. It’s easier than buying a 50lb. bag from the feed store. My dog couldn’t tolerate any of the flea treatments from the vet. This has been a lifesaver!

#58782 Report Abuse
    Barb R
    Participant

I have been using it for years after reactions to the topical spot flea treatments. Dog had seizures.
    i get it here.
    http://www.earthworkshealth.com/
    No fleas. I just dump some in an empty shaker
    and spread from the neck-ear area to the base of the tale and rub it
    in. You may want to apply outside cause it can make a mess if the
    dog decides to shake after applying it.

#59142 Report Abuse
    Rich

EDITED: After reading Barb R’s excellent link I have to edit my original post below. It seems that DMV’s recommend DE for parasites in the gut etc. My neighbor however thinks feeding them DE is a way to treat for fleas. So I stand corrected and will share with her this wonderful link that Barb provided.

{PUT IT ON DOG??? Oh my, my neighbor FEEDS it too them!! She mixes it in their food and told us about it and we told her we wouldn’t do that without a vets approval. Is it approved for mixing in feed?}

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by Rich.
    #59147 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Food grade DE can be put in food – pet or human.

#61849 Report Abuse
    Rich

I am going to start to use DE it on myself after reading articles concerning parasites !
    Seems that if parasites are not killed in the intestine they can get into the blood stream and bore themselves into brains!
    So, my reason for using DE is for parasites, we don’t have a flea issue.

#62164 Report Abuse
    Jeffrey

Just to reiterate what others have said, make sure it is food grade. The other stuff may have high levels of heavy metals or arsenic, not something you want to put on your pet.

Google Search for the Differences

#62363 Report Abuse
    Karen K

Again, always use FOOD GRADE. The DE for pools and such contains toxic chemicals.
    DE is used in grain silos to control weevils & such. It can be taken internally for parasites but will not kill every type of parasite so research this and also the amount to use. It does not require a large amount of DE.
    DE kills fleas because it kills exoskeleton pests which also includes roaches, spiders, etc.
    It kills them because the sharp edges of the material (think really tiny tiny sand) of the diatoms from which it is made puts cuts in exoskeletons and the bug dehydrates to death.
    Works great on Palmetto bugs (think huge roaches) in Florida. I have used it on kittens & puppies. Expose the skin by holding back the hair and powderpuff it on the area around the neck and tail (fleas favorite places). Eventually the fleas will crawl over the area and they are goners. No need to create dust while applying it. The dust is very dangerous if inhaled as it will also cause tiny cuts in lung tissue of any mammal. DE does not kills bugs by chemical action but by a natural method which does not harm mammals as long as they don’t breathe the DE dust in.

#63799 Report Abuse
    Cotons mom

How often can it be applied, weekly, monthly and do I only put it around the neck and tail. If my dogs chew on themselves will it hurt them?

#63800 Report Abuse
    Jeffrey

I’m not sure about the frequency but i can tell you that diatomaceous earth only works when dry. Once it becomes wet it no longer has the properties to kill the fleas because it loses its crystal structure that punctures the fleas exoskeleton which dehydrates and kills them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.