šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    beagleowner

Henry is 15 and now deaf. His eyesight and smell is good. He sleeps during the day but in the evening he barks constantly and wants treats. He is fed his fresh food of chicken and vegetables a day and so he is not Hungry but begs and barks constantly during the night. He doesn’t bother my husband as much but barks at me and sits in front of me all evening. Finally late at night he settles down and sleeps. He goes out twice during the night. He barks at 7 AM for breakfast and is patient then. It is night time that he is restless and barks, barks and barks. Foing to try getting bones or kongs . Maybe that will settle him down. Any suggestions on why he is barking at night.

#18712 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

He needs a reason to stay awake during the day so he sleeps at night. More exercise would be a starting place. Does he have any interest in toys?

#18713 Report Abuse
    beagleowner

No interest in toys. Thought about getting him something to chew on. He can’t have grains and seems the knuckle bones that the vet suggested didn’t keep him interested. He tore meet off of them just left them. Am scared of rawhide

#18714 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Can he still go for walks? Maybe take him for a walk before bedtime, or right before he usually starts his barking. Or maybe he has restless leg syndrome, like I do, and can’t get settled. I only get it in the evening. Not sure if dogs can get that, but I have to keep getting up and moving around while I’m watching tv in the evening. Bailey hates it, because she is usually on my lap and I have to make her move.

#18717 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I have RLS too, and going for a mile or mile and a half walk 2 hours before bed knocks it right out.

#18779 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Really? I’ll have to try that. Not quite sure I can do a mile, but we have been walking farther and farther. I have to get my butt in better shape to keep up with Bailey.

#18780 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It has been almost 2 years since I’ve had a problem with RLS, EXCEPT when I haven’t been able to get my walk. I don’t know if it will work for you, but it has REALLY worked for me. I used to not get to sleep for about 3 hours after I went to bed because it took that long for my legs to quit having a mind of their own. I literally kicked my husband out of bed from a sound sleep one night.

#18781 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

LOL! It’s worth a try. What’s weird with me though, is my legs don’t bother me when I lay down to go to sleep. Just when I’m sitting watching tv, a couple hours before bed, is when they really act up. I have to change positions very often or get up and move around. Maybe I’ll start walking instead of sitting on my butt watching tv! I know Bailey would like that!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.