šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mary Lynn L

My 9 year old mixed breed is allergic to chicken. It has been a non stop problem. I am trying to find “chicken free” food that does not contain pea or legumes. I am finding unless it has “Chicken free” on the bag it can contain some type of chicken either meal or fat. It seems the ones I find that contain absolutely no chicken are also grain free. Any suggestions? He does get an allergy shot every 6 weeks that helps but he still chews at his paws.

#145785 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Mary Lynn are you sure that the chicken is the problem? When you eliminate all chicken for a week or more does he stomp the paw chewing? I know it sounds like a simple solution but sometimes even chemicals such as rug cleaners could cause irritation and allergies. Don’t know if you’re interested in grain inclusive. Really can’t find any gran free that doesn’t include some form of peas or legumes. Below is Stella and Chewy’s grain inclusive with just beef and lamb meal .
    Ingredients
    Beef, lamb meal, pearled barley, oatmeal, brown rice, pork meal, beef fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural vegetable flavor, beef liver, millet, quinoa, flaxseed, calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, suncured alfalfa meal, salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), inulin (from chicory root), pumpkin, blueberries, taurine, tocopherols (preservative), thyme, sage, dried kelp, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, rosemary extract.
    #1 ingredient grass-fed beef
    Wholesome grains including brown rice, pearled barley, oatmeal, quinoa and millet
    Pea-free, lentil-free, potato-free & poultry-free
    Made in the USA with no ingredients from China
    Rich in Omegas for healthy skin & coat
    Leading levels of glucosamine & chondroitin to help maintain hip & joint function
    High quality proteins for lean muscle mass
    No corn, wheat or soy protein
    No by-product meal
    Guaranteed taurine levels
    Complete & balanced for all life stages except large breed puppies

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Patricia A.
    #145787 Report Abuse
    joanne l

check out Holistic Select sardine and anchovy it doesn’t have chicken or peas or lentils or potatoes. Also Annameat option it has salmon and lamb no chicken or legumes or potatoes. Look it up on chewy.com

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by joanne l.
    #145789 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Here it the ingredients for Annameat Option:
    Salmon Meal, Brown Rice, Millet, Rolled Oats, Lamb Meal, Pearled Barley, Canola Oil, Menhaden Fish Meal, Menhaden Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E)), Dried Tomato Pomace, Sun Cured Ground Miscanthus Grass, Dried Apples, Dried Blueberries, Dried Cranberries, Flax Seed Meal, Lecithin, Marine Microalgae, Salt, DL Methionine, L-Lysine, Taurine, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Fructooligosaccharides, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, L-Carnitine, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Betaine Anhydrous, Iron Proteinate, Selenium Yeast, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate.

This is Holistic Select:
    Anchovy and Sardine Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Rice, Salmon Meal, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Oats, Flaxseed, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Pumpkin, Salmon Oil, Cranberries, Apples, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Papayas, Choline Chloride, Blueberries, Pomegranates, Vitamin E Supplement, Inulin, Dried Kelp, Zinc Proteinate, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Zinc Sulfate , Niacin, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin A Supplement, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Ground Cinnamon, Ground Fennel, Ground Peppermint, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Dried Lactobacillus bulgaricus Fermentation Product,

#145790 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Curios how your vet came to conclusion that he has a chicken allergy. Not sure about this but wouldn’t a allergy to chicken effect more areas of his body then just paws ? Also I believe he would have stomach issues also?? Was he cleared of a possible yeast problem which I think is more common. Mary Lynn does below fit his description of paws at all?

My Dog Has a Yeast Infection on His Paws: How Do I Treat It?

#145791 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Patricia, I thought like you did too, however it can just affect their paws. Why? I don’t know. My friend has the same trouble when her dog eats chicken she licks and bites her paws. Now that she don’t eat chicken, no paw biting. I know it is weird but true.

#145802 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Thank Joanne for info. Just like to throw out there some other reasons that could cause the paw chewing that are easier to treat then changing diet. Just wondering if vets actually can do a allergy test for specifically chicken and why the shots if the solution is just to not give chicken?

#145803 Report Abuse
    anonymous

@ Mary Lynn L

Just go with the prescription food that I assume your vet recommended. It’s hydrolyzed, therefore the ingredients don’t matter as your dog will not react to them.

Don’t know what you mean by “allergy shots” but that sounds like treatment for environmental allergies.
    I would have a serious talk with your vet. Does your dog have food sensitivities? Food allergies? Environmental allergies?
    A combination of two or all three or just one?

Also, have you considered consulting a veterinary dermatologist? They treat allergies and are the best regarding testing/diagnostics and what would be best for your specific dog.

#145807 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Look at Nature’s Logic and American Natural Premium

#145813 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

anon I didn’t read that her vet recommended any prescription food. If i’m understanding what she wrote, it seems like her vet gave her the idea of a chicken allergy but I would really insist on how her vet came to that conclusion. Also she wrote “He does get an allergy shot every 6 weeks that helps but he still chews at his paws.” I agree with you to take her dog to a veterinary dermo.

#147903 Report Abuse
    Bill C

Sport Dog Food

#147925 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Earthborn Holistic has a new product line called “Unrefined” that is poultry-free and this and that free.

#148038 Report Abuse
    Nadia K
    Participant

I just ordered this for my pup as she seems to itch a great deal when eating chicken: https://www.chewy.com/american-natural-premium-turkey/dp/204685

#151914 Report Abuse
    mehmet ali K
    Participant

Sport Dog Food good

#152066 Report Abuse
    shehan D
    Participant

I have no suggestions for this I have used homemade dog food always…

#153653 Report Abuse
    Teagsmom

My dog has a food intolerance but went through tests to find out. She licks her paws at times but it has nothing to do with food. Iā€™m not sure how any vet can say for certain that a dog is allergic to something without doing any tests. Regardless, Primal Duck is a great option along with Go! Duck (both are sold on Chewy).

#153655 Report Abuse
    anonymous

A Veterinary Dermatologist can do a skin test that will tell you exactly what environmental allergies your dog has.

Food sensitivities tend to fluctuate so the blood test is not accurate even when done by a vet.

The mail order hair/saliva tests are a total scam.

#163132 Report Abuse
    Caroline L
    Participant

Hello
    my dog is 1.5 year old Parti yorkie怂 I have some questions for my dog regarding his ALT number . we have blood test on one year old check out and his Alt 142 so Vet give he a samelq 225 and we recheck blood test two month later which
    Is two week ago the ALt number 192 . everything for my dog is normal and have good appetite. Vet think we should do the bile Acid to check liver function.we did the bile acid test and liver function normal, and we also did the ultrasound it is normal just has mild hepatic lymph enlarged . Vet think it mild infection in the liver and/or intestine This could be caused by inflammation secondary to a food intolerance.

He was has justfoodfor dog also have short time raw food from darwinspet.
    I am currently has Justfood for dog , salmon and cod with sweet pototao .. and recheck blood for one month see if not eat chicken , beef those will be better
    try to find what kind protein cause the food intolerance .

my concern is what cause the ALT number high than normal range and the the liver and other is normal.
    and what kind food has cause mild hepatic lymph enlarged .
    just the ALT number made me feel wired ..
    is anyone has any suggest or recommend ?

my dog has no symptoms for anything .he has very good appetite.

is any food intolerance test suggest ?

thank you ,

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.