šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ellen H

Here’s my problem. We have been using the Castor and Pollux Organix Brown Rice and Chicken recipe for quite a few years. We have three large dogs and the bag was 25 pounds so we were buying a bag about every 10 days, getting costly but the dogs do well on it, and Amazon Prime had a good price. Now they have not only changed all the formulas but they have also raised the price AND made the bag even smaller at 18 pounds and now we can’t afford it anymore.

I have had dogs die way too young; my first GSD only made to 8 before he got cancer in his heart; our second one died in his sleep of some kind of aneurysm at 3-1/2! After that I started trying to clean up their food because I started cleaning up the human food. We are now organic or Non-GMO in our house and I need a clean food that will suit my needs for organic or non-gmo and that we can afford to feed our dogs.

The three dogs are a German Shepherd dog who will be 6 at the end of this month, a GSD/boxer mix dog who will be 7 in January, and a young dog that showed up at our gate last year and we think he’s probably 2 now, looks like a mastiff mix maybe. I’m really scared to change foods but I’m also scared my husband will go bankrupt if I keep with Castor and Pollux, the making the bag smaller was just the last straw.

#104171 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Nature’s Domain has one organic kibble. It’s available at Costco.

http://www.kirklandsignaturepetsupplies.com/natures-domain-brand

#104721 Report Abuse
    Gulsebnem B

Ellen, I totally understand what you are going through. I signed up for this site just to find a replacement for Castor & Pollux Organix. Chicken and Rice was my two Kangal mix dogs’ favorite. They’ve been on it since they were puppies.
    After looking through this website, I finally decided to go with Nature’s Variety Instinct original. At least its a 22.5 pound bag. It was either this or Wellness Core.
    Tonight was the first night. I am switching them over slowly. I’ll post results.
    I did try Kirkland brand dog food once. There was a recall. Scared the heck out of me.
    Sheb

#104980 Report Abuse
    Ellen H

Thanks so much for your reply Sheb. I was afraid of Kirkland for the same reason. I ended up using Nutro Wholesome Essentials Large Breed for now, it’s not even on the dog food advisor’s editor’s list but it was non-gmo and that’s just really important to me. I’m on the third bag and even though I plan on finding something organic to feed them again, this food so far is actually not bad at all. The dogs like it and their stools are firm and not too numerous, pretty much unchanged from before. It’s just that it’s Nutro is mostly what is bothering me :).

#104984 Report Abuse
    a c

After losing my 10 years old to lymphoma earlier this year, I really started to take a close look at the dog food. I have been feeding them primarily Hillā€™s Science Diet since they were puppies because thatā€™s what vet has recommended.

I went to a local pet store, I was told Orijen is the best out there in addition to the raw diet. I bought Origen and small bags of Stella and Chewy, Primal, and Honest Kitchen to try. My the other 10 year old end up with pancreatitis. She was put on IV therapy, metronidazole, and Science Diet ID can food. Then, I was told to put her on low fat Purina One Smartblend Weight management kibbles.

It has been a struggle to find low fat, good ingredients, and no/low toxin dog food. It shouldnā€™t be this hard.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.