🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Does anyone know whether any pet food companies are taking notice of this issue and eliminating BPA from their cans?

I don’t really feed canned often, mainly because I’ve not been too impressed with any for the price vs. just providing human canned/jarred meat or veggies or fresh or frozen. But the BPA issue has been more and more in the news.

Does anyone know about how high heat processing is required for commercial canning? I wonder how this compares to heat used for kibbles or ordinary home cooking. I know my favorite kibble is cooked at ~200 for 10-15 minutes, because the company is concerned with protecting nutrients as much as possible (while still producing kibbled food).

If it helps anyone who goes more the homemade route, Costco’s cases of canned tomato products are all BPA-free and organic (my dog & I both partake!); other canned veggies there are also BPA-free cans. Crown Prince makes multiple sardine versions & sizes, as well as other meat products, in BPA-free tins.

#18171 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

There was an article a while back at truthaboutpetfood.com

Some cans that are claimed to be BPA free are Merrick and Weruva and some others but I guess you would need to contact them direct and see if they still are.

#18174 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Cool, thanks, pugsmomsandy!

(My dog loves all pugs — bet he’d love to meet your cutie pie in the pic!)

#18186 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

He’s special!! I would list him first in my will if he would live that long!! I’ve fostered over 180 pugs now, and still going!

#18210 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Oh my stars! 180 pugs??? Wow.

Kudos to you and God bless you. That is beyond amazing. Thank you for having such a good heart.

I really would love to foster again, GSDs specifically since I know the breed so well and feel like that way I could do the most good. I haven’t been able to for a while. I will say though, I am such a sucker for animals in need, that I have even fostered a litter of kitties (when the largest no kill shelter was out of homes, the kill shelters overloaded with felines) — and not only am I highly allergic, but I don’t even particularly like cats. LOL.

#18216 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant
    #18365 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Thanks to HoundDogMom and Susan Thixton (Truth About Pet Food website) for this:

http://truthaboutpetfood2.com/which-pet-foods-have-bpa-free-cans

This topic HERE has had little traffic, but is being discussed on other threads on this forum. So I hope this information will help others and not just me!

#89854 Report Abuse
    Juanita B

Weruva no longer claims canned foods are BPA free.
    http://www.weruva.com/tid-bits-detail.php?Are-Weruva-s-Cans-BPA-Free-15

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.