🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    weezerweeks
    Participant

My vet and I are trying to decide on the joint supplement for my yorkie,he’s been having a little trouble with his luxating petalla even though it’s only a 1. I showed him the mercola joint supplement that I have and he’s concerned about the Bromelain because it has been know to cause trouble with the digestive lining. Have any of u ever heard of this? I have a super smart and animal loving vet,his 7 dogs go to work with him everyday,2 golden doodles,1 lab,3carin terriers, and one westie.you should see him driving down the highway it is quite funny!

#34631 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I would like to see him driving down the road. I’ve heard about bromelain being an issue for some dogs. I wasn’t sure how dose dependent what I heard was though. I’ve not heard of dogs getting small amounts having issues.

#34632 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi-
    I just checked and both of the enzymes that I use contain bromelain. Should I try and find one that doesn’t to rotate with? Or, do they all pretty much include it?

#34641 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

No, they don’t all contain it, just the “better ones” do. One of my dogs requires a pretty good dose of digestive enzymes, and I do rotate, but I’ve never noticed any problems with him even if I give him a double dose of enzymes with bromelain. I don’t think I’d feel good about giving him an enzyme supplement that was just bromelain though. As long as it is just part of a multi-enzyme supplement and you aren’t seeing problems, I wouldn’t worry. That said, I do rotate everything, including what enzymes I use. If you are worried, then I would use the one with bromelain every other or every third day. The intestinal lining repairs very quickly once whatever is causing damage is removed unless the damage is severe and you would know it if it was.

#34654 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi-
    No, I wasn’t worried about it until this thread was started! I just get worried when I hear talk about intestinal damage due to the parasite fiasco we had. Both of the enzymes I have are part of a multi-enzyme supplement. My dogs are doing pretty well right now. So I won’t worry too much. Thanks, BC nut. (But you will always be Party V to me!)

#34667 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Rock on!!

#34678 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.