🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I feed my yorkie this in his rotation. When he eats this he always drinks a lot of water. It is so noticeable because he never drinks much water from his bowl. I even add water to his canned foods. Does anyone know why he would drink more. It says it doesn’t have added salt. Thanks Deanna

#66983 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It may not have added sodium, but it might still have plenty of sodium. Another thing to consider, how does this food’s protein level compare with other foods in his rotation. Some dogs increase water consumption to flush their kidneys when they are eating high protein.

#66988 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I just received an e mail from Dr. Harveys and they said it was normal to drink more water on a freezedried food. I just emailed them and they answered within a few hours. I had other questions and they said Dr. Harvey would like to talk to me so I’m to call him tomorrow. I am in shock. That is service. Now what are some of the things I should ask him?

#67022 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

No idea.

#67137 Report Abuse
    Aspen A

Hi, Weezerweeks, I am with Steve’s Real Food (for full disclosure). It sounds like you have some great customer service going on with Dr. Harvey. If you are worried about how much water your pup is drinking you may want to look into a completely raw diet. The whole point of freeze dried foods is that they remove all the water from the diet so it can preserve well, which does mean your dog will drink more when using it. Diets that are straight, raw meat are the best for your pup and have enough water in them naturally that dogs actually tend to drink less, not more. You will want to ask about the mineral content, the percentage of sodium, and then compare it to the other foods in your rotation to see if there is a difference.

#67179 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Hi aspen I appreciate ur reply but I think ur company had a recall in 2013. I don’t do business with companies who have had recalls.

#67320 Report Abuse
    Aspen A

Weezerweeks,

I am not trying to convince you to buy Steve’s over another product if that product is working for you. I care that your dog is getting the best nutrition possible, and if you have found that, then I am happy. I just want to share the knowledge I have gained working in the pet food industry. I believe that we did have a recall in 2013 (that was before I was working here). The interesting thing about recalls with us or any other raw food is that they are usually for chicken, which can contain salmonella, which the government regulates closely. However, the recalls are put in place for the protection of humans, not animals. Dog’s stomaches can handle salmonella like nobody’s business, the concern comes in the humans touching the product. It is like with any other raw meat, you always want to use proper handling procedures and wash your hands after using, and salmonella isn’t a problem for anyone involved. It is good the government keeps an eye out for it, but the most dangerous part of a recall for a raw pet food company is not in the chance of making a pet sick, which won’t happen, or a human sick, if they are following good sanitary practices, but the PR and loss of business, such as yourself, that accompanies it. In response to your original question, any dehydrated food is going to cause your pet to drink more, because it rehydrates in their stomach, pulling water from them that they have to replenish.

#67321 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Weezerweeks. I’m with you on the subject of recalls. I do not buy foods that have had recalls. If our dogs have healthy guts, than a bit of salmonella is not going to hurt our dogs but it will hurt us. Aspen A. seems to think that we are only concerned about these issues only for our dogs. We that feed raw, freeze dried, dehydrated, canned and, yes, even kibble know that we need to wash our hands, counter tops, etc. etc. We take all precautions necessary on a regular basis anyway but that doesn’t make it okay for manufacturers with recalls should think that it’s really no big deal. If other companies can get it right than why can’t the ones with recalls.

Also, Dr. Harvey’s answer to you that dogs drink more water on freeze-dried foods would mean that your yorkie would be drinking more water on all freeze-dried foods. Have you found that to be true with your yorkie? I haven’t found that to be true with any of my three dogs. I should mention that I don’t feed Dr. Harvey’s Oracle. Tried it once and I didn’t care for it but I certainly do have other freeze dried foods in rotation.

#67325 Report Abuse
    Aspen A

I’m not saying recalls aren’t a big deal, I’m just saying that any company, no matter how careful, is subject to them, and awareness of what they really mean can save some overreaction. I recently had a recall on a food I purchased from a store, and almost threw it away, but then I looked into it and it was for a peanut contamination, and since I don’t have a peanut allergy, I felt safe to use the product after all. You should take every precaution you feel is necessary to protect yourself and your pets, and it shows a high level of good pet parenting to keep up to date on what is happening with the companies you are purchasing your food from. This forum is full of great people like yourselves who care enough to do their research – if all pets had such great pet parents, the world would be a much better place!

#67327 Report Abuse
    Dori

Aspen A. I may be missing something. If a food had a recall for a peanut contamination, what would that have to do with whether you had peanut allergies or not? They weren’t being recalled because that had peanuts or the food was made in a plant that had peanuts they were being recalled because the peanuts were contaminated. I’m glad you didn’t have any issues eating contaminated peanuts, I would have thrown them away. I don’t have any peanut allergies so I can eat peanuts but I’m not going to eat contaminated peanuts.

Yes, I do realize that all companies are subject to recalls for a variety of reasons but with so many companies not having recalls why would I chose to feed foods from companies that have had recalls? I wouldn’t. I realize that a lot of people feel differently and are perfectly fine feeding foods from companies that have had recalls; even many many recalls. They believe that the companies will or have learned from their mistakes. I just don’t happen to fall into that category. I try to be as pro active with my three dogs health as I can be.

Thanks for your kind words about the pet parents on this site.

#67329 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Recalls are a good thing but for me, it depends on what the recall is for and how it was handled. Some companies (Diamond) have had numerous, they used card board & duct tape on machinery; thats a company that won’t get my money. Same with Evangers. I don’t know if they’ve had a recall but they are so shady that I’d almost feed Diamond over them.

#67330 Report Abuse
    Aspen A

Maybe I didn’t explain that well. The product that was recalled weren’t peanuts, they were boca burgers, that apparently had been potentially exposed to peanut contamination, which would be a good thing to recall them for as some people have that allergy, but it didn’t affect me. As I said, I’m not trying to convince you to buy anything or do anything you are uncomfortable with, I just wanted to explain the nature of the recalls and how they really affect people so you could have that information if you wanted it. Knowledge is key, what you do with it is your choice, and as long as you and your pet are healthy and happy, then I fully support however you decide to care for them and whatever brands you use! 🙂 Thanks for a great conversation.

#67337 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Dori what freezedried foods do you use? I know your babies are small like Bailey. He did not like the honest kitchen. I tried him on the Zeal because it was low in fats and carbs and he wouldn’t eat it. One of the few foods he has refused. I like Dr. Harveys because it’s low in fat and carbs. He’s on the grain free chicken now and he’s had the tripe. Loves them both. Thanks

#67339 Report Abuse
    Dori

Weezerweeks. Freeze dried that I have fed and will continue with in rotation with commercial raw diets are Primal, Vital Essentials, Natures Variety, Grandma Lucy’s Pureformance. Fair warning though…Grandma Lucy’s seems to produce larger stools. I think it has more fiber than the others, also I can’t discern any ingredients in their poop for that food. The girls do really well on all these freeze dried foods. I’ve tried others but I didn’t care for them. The girls ate them but, then again, they’ll eat everything. The only food Hannah has ever turned down in her entire life and just would not eat was Dr. Harvey’s Oracle Tripe. Which was funny because she loves their tripe treats. She liked the tripe bits (treats) in the food but not the food itself.

#67345 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I have more & larger poop on SoJo’s then I did on THK & Grandma Lucys!

#67348 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hmmmmmm? Not sure I ever tried Sojo’s. Don’t think I have. I think the manager of one of my local dog food stores told me not to buy it. Thought it was odd at the time but I guess I’m glad she did.

#67368 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I wish I hadnt. Whole pieces of food go in & they come out the same.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.