🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lyndsey D

I’m kind of a food snob but since my dog has allergies and is limited on many foods now I thought I’d give it a try since ingredient wise it seemed comparable to high end ones and for $2.99 (on sale) for the last 3.3lb bag I thought why not. It’s the Turkey, Pea and Sweet Potato recipe. 25%protein, 15% fat, 3% fiber, 10% moisture. Ingredients in order: Turkey, chicken meal, whole ground garbanzo beans, whole ground peas, sweet potatoes, chicken fat, pea starch, pea protein, Turkey meal, natural chicken flavor, flaxseed meal, potassium chloride, dried chicory root, dried cranberries, dried blueberries, dried carrots, minerals vitamins yada yada yada… my dog can eat this which is amazing since he is allergic to soy, egg product, barley salmon and much more, so if this checks out as okay I’d be okay with that.. anyone??

#123354 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Lyndsey D-
    This food is loaded with suspect ingredients that the FDA and several cardiologist teams are investigating as causing Dilated Cardiomyopathy in dogs. I wouldn’t feed it at least until the investigation is over and the cause increased amounts of DCM lately is figured out.

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/ResourcesforYou/AnimalHealthLiteracy/ucm616279.htm

Good luck to you!

#123368 Report Abuse
    Lyndsey D

Well that isnt exactly what I was asking, as I said my dog has allergies (wheat, barley, soy, corn, dried egg, venison, rabbit, salmon, dairy/milk, might be forgetting one) so while I might find a food that does not have most it would have at least one – most has either barley or the egg or none and salmon oil. At the moment I am using Natural Recipe easily found at Target or Walmart (chicken, pumpkin and sweet Potato) and cooking the rest of the time chicken breast, brown rice, carrots, sweet potatoes and flaxseed until his dermatology appointment. It’s nice to have a few choices though. Cant find much info on sourcing or who makes it for Fleet Farm (Mills).

#123369 Report Abuse
    anonymous

@ Lyndsey D

Consider Zignature https://www.chewy.com/zignature-turkey-limited-ingredient/dp/36739

I switched my allergy dog that is under the care of a dermatologist (never had her tested for food allergies) to a grain inclusive food due to the grain free scare that is going on.

Didn’t work out, she is back on Zignature, same thing for a friend of mine who has a dog with sensitivities, her dog is back on Zignature after a brief trial on a grain inclusive food, that didn’t go well.

#123446 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Lyndsey,

How did you work out your do is sensitive too wheat, barley, soy, corn, dried egg, venison, rabbit, salmon, dairy/milk?
    The only way to work out food sensitivities is to do a food elimination diet, blood, salvia & fur testing test can give false positives….Waste of money..

Best Testing for Environment allergies is the “Intradermal Skin test” ask your Dermatologist about Intradermal Skin Testing & can you start Immunotherapy injections, is often the best treatment plan for environment allergies & baths weekly or twice a week baths to wash off allergens on skin & paws…
    * Probiotics to strengthen immune system & diet high in Omega 3 will also help, especially if you’re cooking meals start adding foods that are high in Omega 3, Flaxseed, Sunflower oil, Linseed Oil, Chia Seeds, Nuts- I was giving my boy 3 Almonds a day as a treat, i’d bite 1 almond in 1/2 & give Patch the other 1/2 of the Almond..he has a beautiful shiney coat…

If you’re cooking then start doing a food trial, start with 1 meat protein & you know your boy can eat sweet potato so add sweet potato as the carb & now every 6 weeks add 1 new ingredient & see does your boy react…
    My boy reacts within 20mins of eating an ingredient (Chicken) his back paw goes red hot & swollen & he start licking & licking back paw, then as the days pass he gets yeasty smelly skin, paws & very itchy, but Chicken doesnt upset his Intestinal tract he has IBD, Carrots make his ears itchy & yeasty he starts shaking his head/ears…
    It can take up to 6 weeks for a dog to react to certain ingredients..
    Elimination diet is slow but you will know 100% what he can & cant eat..

A really good food is
    * “Ziwi Peak” wet can or air dried
    https://www.ziwipets.com/catalog/ziwi-peak-dog-nutrition

also look at Aldis” new “Pure Being” formula’s, grain free & grain formula’s
    /dog-food-reviews/shep-dog-food/

* “Wellness Core” formula’s – https://www.wellnesspetfood.com/natural-dog-food/core

* “Canidae Pure Wild” & “Pure Meadow” if your boy is a senior – https://www.canidae.com/dog-food/products

I’d stay away from Zignature, Zignature is one of the dry foods that is VERY high in legumes & dogs are not absorbing Taurine causing heart problems, DCM…..
    Make sure the dry food you’re feeding doesn’t have a heap of legumes in the first 6 ingredients & Zignature does…. there shouldnt be no more then 20% Legumes in a dogs diet..
    The dry dog foods list is in this group below, we are NOT allowed to post the Taurine list as it has peoples private info…
    Here’s the f/b group join “Taurine-Deficient Dilated Cardiomyopathy” group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1952593284998859/
    then look in their “Files” click on 2nd link
    “2018-10-05 COPY of Diet and Taurine TABLE”…. & you will see cases mark in Yellow & then Orange = DCM or CHF w/o low Taurine; diet related,
    Zignature Kangaroo formula has 3 cases & i’d say the first young GSH has passed away by now as he was diagnosed 2017 & given only 6-8months to live 🙁

Join this facebook group for Skin allergies,
    “Dog Allergies, Issues and Other Information Support Group”
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/240043826044760/
    a Dermatologist Karen Helton Rhodes, DVM, DACVD from Canine Skin Solutions “Healthyskin4dogs”
    frequents this group, there’s heaps of help & really good advice..

Weekly baths are the best to do, baths wash off any allergens on skin & paws & relieve itchy red skin, I also use Huggie Cucumber & Aloe baby wipes, I wipe my boy down when he comes back inside & I use “Sudocrem” cream on his paws & around his mouth when skin is red & inbetween toes are red, Sudocrem is an anti-bacterial, ant-fungal healing cream, also works as a barrier & protects the skin & paws, excellent for skin problems… sold on Amazon

#123481 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Hi try Holistic Select they have grain free and also grain in without what you mentioned. I believe the only grains are in it are: oatmeal and rice. Check it out. Here are the first few ingredients in the chicken:
    Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Rice, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Oats, Pork Meal, Dried Molasses Beet Pulp, Flaxseed, Pumpkin, Cranberries
    And like I said they have grain free as well. But if he can have these grains that is good I would think. Some of them, not all, have salmon oil but it is low on the list. Hope it works out.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by joanne l.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by joanne l.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.