Probiotics

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Supplements Probiotics

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I give my yorkie Dr. Peter Dobias’s gut sense probiotic plus I give him a teaspoon of plain yogurt and t night a teaspoon of kefir. I do this every day and I’ve started thinking it could be harmful. Anybody know

#104705 Report Abuse
    anonymous

When you ask a question like that on a forum you will get a variety of opinions.
    What does the vet that knows your dog recommend? That is what I would go by.

Homeopathic views differ from traditional medicine.

Here is a science based view, if anyone is interested
    .http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2017/02/evidence-update-new-review-of-probiotics-for-cats-and-dogs/#comments

#104707 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

My vet is a great vet but does not know much about holistic. I’m probably the only client that gets TITER.

#105419 Report Abuse
    jen N

I have been giving my pet probiotics, I mix it with coconut oil. Personally I prefer a homeopathic and natural approach to my own health and try and do the same for my chow/retriever. We haven’t had any issues. I don’t see why there would be a drawback.

#105421 Report Abuse
    a c

What kind of kefir do you give? The kefir for human or dogs? The kefir that I found in the grocery stores are full of sugar.

#105449 Report Abuse
    CockalierMom

Hi AC,
    I use Lifeway low fat plain kefir that I buy in my grocery store.(I drink it as well as giving to my girls.) Lifeway does not have any added sugar but milk has natural sugars so I seriously doubt that you can find sugar free kefir. When you consider the small amount of kefir that you would be giving your dog, the low amount of natural sugar should not be an issue.

#105450 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Cockaliermom this is the kefir I also use. My yorkie loves it but how in the world do you drink it. I tried it and it taste horrible. I probably could drink the strawberry but I give him the plain.

#105451 Report Abuse
    CockalierMom

I guess it’s an acquired taste like buttermilk (my brother does not like the plain either). In my older years now, I prefer tangy and tart. I have tried the strawberry, blueberry, and peach. The strawberry also has quite a tang so not sure if you would like it, The blueberry and peach are not quite so tangy-my store does not carry any of the other flavors.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.