🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Brenda C
    Participant

Help! I have two Shih Tzu/Bichon mixes, each about 14 lbs. One of them, Reba, is a very picky eater. I am currently feeding them TruDog Freeze Dried Raw. I usually put just a bit of chicken breast on top to entice her. Even then, there are some days she won’t eat. I used to stress but now I just pick it up when she doesn’t eat and offer it to her again at the next meal. Usually she eats then. She has rarely gone a whole day without eating. My dilemma is that TruDog is so expensive! I would like to switch to something less expensive. We recently retired and have to count our pennies. I have been researching other freeze dried raw foods and finding out that they ALL seem to be pricey! I am not sure she would accept regular kibble. I tried Only Natural Pet Wholesome Homemade Stew…thinking she’d love it because it’s more like “people food”. Wrong! She won’t touch it! Any suggestions for a less expensive freeze dried raw, a kibble she might like, or any other options?

#152408 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Brenda I try to stretch the freeze dried I use which is Stella’s and Primal with a little kibble .So if they say two nuggets/patties for their weight I use one and add kibble I stick to the DFA 5* ones. I believe the lower ratings are higher in fat. My one Chi gains weight easily even with tons of exercise. . I usually alternate kibble. They really love Stella chewys though. I switch from their grain to their grain free. If I’m making a chicken dish I make sure I have the one extra breast and boil for them.. Do the same with boiled steak, salmon etc. I just add some of the kibble on those days and home cooked as a topper. This allows me to afford the freeze dried which is their primary diet. But I know from their f/b page that there are many who write that their picky dogs actually loves the Stella’s kibble. Hope this helps . https://www.stellaandchewys.com

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Patricia A.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Patricia A.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.