🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    boobear27

My dog recently had an upset stomach and I fed her boiled chicken and rice with a little bit of canned pumpkin for a few days,,Now she seems to be doing fine, she’s her old self again:)..Now I’m starting to transition her back to her kibble gradually starting with 75% of the boiled chicken and rice and 25% of the kibble I also add water to it to soften it..The problem is she will just eat the chicken and rice but won’t eat the kibble..I feed her a high quality kibble Wellness Core reduced fat dry food..She ate it just fine before her upset stomach she would gobble it all up now she won’t eat it..Is there any other tricks to get her to eat it again?

#82800 Report Abuse
    anonymously

What caused her upset stomach? What does a veterinarian that has examined her advise?
    She may be nauseous, in that case, be glad she is eating anything and drinking adequate fluids (assuming that she is)
    After a stomach virus (if that’s what it is), it can take a week or two for normal appetite to return, longer without treatment.
    If she doesn’t eat or drink x 72 hours I would head to the emergency vet. She could have a blockage. There are a multitude of things that could cause poor appetite, only a visit to a veterinarian can determine the cause. How do her teeth look?

#82803 Report Abuse
    boobear27

She got an upset stomach due to stress..We just moved to a new state and she’s still adjusting to our new home..She gets a little separation anxiety..She didn’t see a vet I spoke to the vet over the phone and explained her symptoms..She had diarrhea and vomiting not alot and they told me to feed her this diet for a few days and she is responding very well to the treatment..She’s drinking water just fine..I also gave her pedialyte during the treatment..Her teeth are looking just fine.

#82804 Report Abuse
    anonymously

If she is not back to her usual self in a week or two, I would take her to see the vet, there may be something else going on.

#82808 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

When I was out of food for my 6 year old who was not used to eating different foods frequently as he’d been on one food for 4 years, I had to feed him my other dogs food which upset his stomach because of the quick switch. He vomited and had diaherra. After that experience he did not want to eat that food anymore. I added some canned food to it and that encouraged him to eat again. Perhaps she is associating her upset stomach with her food.

#82810 Report Abuse
    boobear27

Thanks Pitlove!..I’m gonna try mixing the canned food in with the dry..I guess she might be associating her upset stomach with her food..She did fine eating that kibble for 4 months and now she won’t eat it..She use to eat Wellness for small breed but she was gaining alot of weight..She is also a senior dog..I gradually switched her to Wellness core reduced fat and she shed the pounds and started to be more active.

#82816 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Also maybe try to make kibble (food) interesting by putting it in a Kong, a Tower, or any other kind of a puzzle toy that she has to figure out how to get to the food to eat it. Makes it more interesting and she will think her food are all treats! 🙂

#82863 Report Abuse
    El

Hi boobear27

“My dog recently had an upset stomach and I fed her boiled chicken and rice with a little bit of canned pumpkin for a few days,,Now she seems to be doing fine, she’s her old self again:)..Now I’m starting to transition her back to her kibble gradually starting with 75% of the boiled chicken and rice and 25% of the kibble I also add water to it to soften it..The problem is she will just eat the chicken and rice but won’t eat the kibble”

I suspect she is letting you know that boiled chicken, rice and canned pumpkin tastes a whole lot better than even a quality kibble like Wellness Core. I would listen to my dog and look into feeding a diet that doesn’t consist of highly processed dried out nuggets. If you would like any help in figuring one out, please let me know. I would be glad to help 😉

#82880 Report Abuse
    boobear27

What is wrong with Wellness brand? I’ve been feeding my other dogs Wellness for years and they do great on it..They had allergy problems and ever since I switched to Wellness the allergies went away and their skin and coat look great and are very active…I switched my senior dog’s diet about 4 months ago due to weight gain and she loved the Wellness core reduced fat she shed the pounds and started to have more energy…The senior dog tends to be a fast eater maybe that could have triggered the upset stomach, I might have to get a new slow feeding bowl because she figured out a loophole for the one I got her:) She has a trip to the vet tomorrow to get routine check up to see if everything is good, but she seems to be much better now. Yesterday she actually started to eat the kibble I mixed with the chicken and rice and did great. What do you suggest for a diet for senior dogs?

#82881 Report Abuse
    boobear27

My dog is doing much better now, she started to eat the kibble I mixed with the chicken and rice and did great..I made an appt for a vet tomorrow for a routine checkup to make sure she’s in good health:)

#82883 Report Abuse
    El

Hi boobear27

I’m happy to hear your dog is doing better now!

“What is wrong with Wellness brand?”

Wellness Core is a very good kibble, and Wellpet is a very good company. But there is no kibble that can compare to the quality and health benefits of a fresh food, properly balanced diet 😉

#83134 Report Abuse
    Carrie P

Try FIDOACTIVE supplement for your dogs this is well proven and verry effective.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.