🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    HuskyMom9710
    Participant

Hi, I have a 4 year old husky who seems to be already developing some slight hip issues. She gets really stiff in the back end a lot of the time. also when we are petting her and if she is standing up her back legs tend to give out and she falls down.. (that part may just be from my wood floors, or maybe because she gets excited?). I am wondering what type of supplement would be best to try??? I have had this talk with my vet and she did not seem too concerned. I am just so scared of her developing hip dysplasia, (I know there is no way of preventing it.)

#12684 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi HuskyMom9710 –

First of all, if your dog is 4 years old she can’t develop hip dysplasia. Hip dysplasia is a developmental orthopedic disease that happens during puppyhood. If a dog is going to have hip dysplasia it will have it by the time it’s full grown – however, if the hip dysplasia is mild the dog may not show symptoms until later in life. There’s no foolproof way of preventing dysplasia but responsible breeding (only breeding dogs that have ofa or penn hip clearances), controlling calcium levels during growth, keeping the pup lean while it’s growing and not over exercising the dog while it’s growing can drastically decrease the odds that the dog will develop hip dysplasia.

What are you feeding your dog? A high-quality species-appropriate diet is the foundation of good health. Grains are inflammatory – so if your dog isn’t on a high protein, grain free diet currently I’d look into switching to one.

Supplementing with Omega 3’s (fish oil) can help with inflammation. Some other natural anti-inflammatories are turmeric, boswellia, yucca, bromelian and tart cherry. Digestive enzymes given on an empty stomach can help inflammation (like medizym). Glucosamine, chondroitin, msm and hydraulic acid can help to maintain and regrow deteriorating joint tissue and fluid.

Some supplements I’d recommend:
    1) Wysong Arthegic for inflammation (sea cucumber, turmeric, boswellia, devil’s claw, yucca, ginger, red pepper, cetyl myristoleate) with Wysong’s Joint Complex for joint maintenance (contains collagen and msm).
    2) Welly Tails Hip and Joint Rx (omega 3’s, tart cherry, glucosamine, chondroitin, msm, hydraulic acid, green lipped mussel).
    3) Vet’s Best Advanced Hip and Joint for maintenance (glucosamine, chondroitin, msm, hydraulic acid) with Vet’s Best Muscle and Joint for inflammation (bromelian, boswellia, turmeric, yucca).
    4) K9 Joint Strong (glucosamine, chondroitin, msm, turmeric, cetyl myristoleate) – also have a version with white willow for pain relief.

#12686 Report Abuse
    HuskyMom9710
    Participant

I was feeding 4 health from tractor supply for 2years but I just switched to blue buffalo because my other dog was not doing great on the 4 health. I was and still am thinking about switching them to a grain free food, I have been going threw a lot of reviews on different brands but it is just making me more confused on what one to go for. They are pretty lazy dogs so would that high of a protein level be good for them?

Okay thank you I will look up some of those supplements. And I am sorry I originally worded it wrong, I knew that they just don’t all of a sudden develop hip dysplasia. I did contact her breeder when she was a year old and she informed me that her parents where not OFA certified. which I feel like they should have told me that while purchasing her.

#12689 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Oh, it’s fine – I just wanted to clarify about the hip dysplasia in case you didn’t understand. Some people actually think it’s something old dogs get.

All healthy dogs should be on a high protein diet, even the less active ones. I’d look for a grain-free food with at least 30% protein – supplementing with high quality canned food and/or healthy leftover and/or fresh raw is a great way to improve the quality of kibble as well.

#12879 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I use K9 Liquid Health glucosamine.

#20942 Report Abuse
    Codybean
    Participant

Hi Husky Mom 9710. As a fellow dog lover, I wanted to let you know about Hubrihound. Hubrihound really helped my dog. :). Hubrihound is an all natural supplement for canine arthritis & hip dysplasia. Hubrihound uses NZ Green Lipped Mussel as our main active ingredient. This ingredient helps to relieve inflammation and repair damaged joints. Green lipped mussel also helps to thicken the synovial fluid that helps keep joints (within people and animals) lubricated. In addition to green lipped mussel, Hubrihound has a unique synergistic blend of glucosamine, Vitamin E, and hand harvested sun dried Kelp found in the waters of NZ, that also contributes to the efficiency of Hubrihound. You can learn more about it at http://www.hubrihound.com. Feel free to email me at Jamie.alfaro1@gmail.com, with any questions at all. Thanks so much! 🙂

#22137 Report Abuse
    lovemypets4life
    Participant

holistic health extension has a powder called “joint mobility” and it’ll help your dogs bones become stronger and help your dog live a healthier life

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.